If you're curious about how to buy modafinil in Australia, we’ve got you covered.
In this detailed guide, we'll break down what you need to know about buying this nootropic powerhouse while living down under.
But here's the gist of it…
Let’s get started!
What Is Modafinil?
Before we dive into how to purchase modafinil in Australia, let's first discuss this drug and why it’s so popular with biohackers and nootropics enthusiasts.
- 12+ hours in a state of “hyper focus”
- Increased overall productivity
- Improved memory retention
- Inability to feel fatigued
As nootropics researchers, we generally agree. We're not saying it's the pill from the movie “Limitless”; that's just Hollywood fiction. But it might well be the closest thing we have to a real-life equivalent.
So, what’s the story behind this purported “smart drug”?
Modafinil was discovered in 1974 by two scientists working for the French drug company Laboratoire L. Lafon. Initial trials showed modafinil to be a strong “wakefulness-promoting” agent and it was subsequently developed into a medicine for the treatment of narcolepsy-associated sleepiness.
But what does the literature say about the effects of modafinil on individuals who do not suffer from sleep disorders or conditions?
Because modafinil just works, mate.
Modafinil Side Effects and Safety
The general consensus of the medical community is that modafinil is a safe compound, provided it’s properly administered. Still, all readers must educate themselves about all potential side effects and risks before using modafinil for a non-medical purpose.
So, what do we know about modafinil’s side effects and safety?
The most common side effects of modafinil are:
- Headaches and/or feeling of dizziness,
- Increased anxiety and/or nervousness,
- Upset stomach and/or nausea,
- Difficulties sleeping (including insomnia),
- Stuffy nose, and
- Back pain.
Other notable side effects of modafinil include skin reactions, allergic reactions, fever, shortness of breath, and swelling in the face, eyes, lips, tongue or throat. Individuals who notice any such side effects after taking modafinil should of course cease use immediately and consult their physician.
Modafinil side effects are something to consider. However, most users find minor headaches, nausea, and insomnia to be the only issues when they take a dose of 200 mg or less — and even these minor side effects can be avoided with proper dosing and management.
Is Modafinil Legal in Australia?
Now, we're not legal practitioners — in Australia or elsewhere. But as the web's #1 modafinil resource, we’ve amassed a wealth of information on all topics modafinil-related. That includes this section on the legality of modafinil in Australia, which we hope will be a useful starting point for further research. Back to the question:
Is modafinil legal in Australia?
If you suffer from a sleep disorder like narcolepsy, a medical practitioner can prescribe you Modavigil, which is brand-name modafinil .
However, if you do not have a valid prescription for Modavigil in Australia, buying from a pharmacy in the country is not just against the law…
Why? Because no Australian chemist in their right mind will risk their career just to sell you a prescription-only medication (well, of course it’s possible, just highly unlikely).
TL • DR:
If you want to buy Modavigil from an Australian pharmacy, you'll can only do so pursuant to a prescription from a medical practitioner.
However, that’s not all she wrote.
Drug Schedules in Australia
Drug scheduling come into play when talking about modafinil in Australia.
Here's a breakdown of drug scheduling in Australia :
- Schedule 1 – Left blank
- Schedule 2 – Generally safe pharmaceutical drugs, including paracetamol, dextromethorphan, and non-sedating antihistamines
- Schedule 3 – Safe pharmaceutical drugs, but ones the Australian government prefers to track and manage, including codeine, pseudoephedrine, and salbutamol
- Schedule 4 – Prescription medications that have the potential for addiction, including modafinil, denzodiazepines, and SSRI
- Schedule 5 – Potentially dangerous compounds for humans, including methanol and some heavy metals
- Schedule 6 – These are poisons according to the TGA Act, and include ammonia and barium salts
- Schedule 7 – Dangerous drugs and poisons that generally are not sold to the public without special consideration, like thallium and colecalciferol
- Schedule 8 – Controlled drugs that require a special license to distribute and which are heavily monitored by the Australian government, including morphine, oxycodone, and amphetamine
- Schedule 9 – Prohibited drugs or street drugs that cannot be sold, distributed, manufactured, or used in Australia absent a permit, including cocaine, DMT, and marijuana
- Schedule 10 – Substances that are so dangerous to the public as to warrant the total prohibition on their sale and use
We can certainly rule out the first two: Modafinil has long been on the Australian market and its safety profile is well-documented. We surmise that modafinil is a Schedule 4 medicine in Australia precisely due to: a) its significant effect on dopamine and dopamine transporters in the human brain, hence its potential for abuse; and, b) the fact that it’s commonly prescribed to diagnose and treat severe sleep disorders like narcolepsy, which we can all agree requires professional diagnosis and monitoring.
We can appreciate the rationale supporting modafinil’s Schedule 4 classification in Australia. But is it a problem for you to purchase modafinil from an overseas online vendor?
Shipping Modafinil to Australia
The Department of Health’s Office of Drug Control in Australia maintains a list of controlled substances , all of which require express government permission to import into Australia.
Browsing this list, we see Aussie street favorites like cocaine and bioidentical testosterone. But what about our favorite nootropic!? Well, it’s not on there, meaning:
Modafinil does not require special permission to be imported into Australia.
Should the Australian Border Force intercept a prescription-only medication without a prescription attached, they’ll likely hold your package until one is submitted.
To our knowledge, the worst-case scenario here is that the Border Force can and will destroy a modafinil shipment if no prescription is presented — in which case a reputable vendor will reship your package to Australia.
We have not, to date, heard of a single case of an individual being prosecuted or formally charged for attempting to import modafinil for personal use into Australia. The reality is that the vast majority of modafinil shipments make it through border security without issue, and border officials rarely pursue confirmations of prescription status.
Where to Buy Modafinil Online in Australia
Without further ado, here's where to buy modafinil in Australia:
We’re massive fans of Buy Moda and these guys are our top recommended vendor for anyone in Australia who wants to buy modafinil online.
You simply can’t go wrong when you order from this company; they are more than impressive.
Here's exactly why:
- Friendly Customer Service: Buy Moda's impressive support team will look after you along each step of the buying journey. They'll go out of their way to ensure that you have a smooth buying experience.
- Proper Packaging: If you're worried about ordering modafinil online, you can order from Buy Moda with confidence. Your modafinil will be properly packed to preserve product integrity as well as to ensure speedy clearance through customs.
- Guaranteed Delivery: Either you get your modafinil, or you get a refund or free reshipment — your choice.
- Low, Low Prices: Buy Moda have some of the cheapest prices in the business and all of their products are 100% legit.
- HUGE Bitcoin Discount: These guys will give you a whopping 20% off your order when you pay with Bitcoin (BTC).
- FAST Shipping: You can expect your order to arrive within 6-14+ days. We've yet to find another vendor who can ship nootropics to Australia faster than that.
Overall, Buy Moda is our TOP recommended modafinil vendor for Australians or anyone living in Australia.
This is our #1 online vendor for a reason…highly recommended.
Get 15% off all Buy Moda products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: BUYMODA#1
If you're buying modafinil and smart drugs in Australia, then Modafinil XL is another great place to check out.
Modafinil XL offers 7-10 day delivery to Australia.
That's fast. You'll have your modafinil in about a week when ordering from these guys. This is because Modafinil XL ships from Singapore, so you can order with confidence.
Get 10% off all ModafinilXL products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: ENJOY10OFF
Generic Modafinil and Armodafinil in Australia
Now if you do have a valid modafinil prescription in Australia, you’ll also be able to buy modafinil from a retail pharmacy in-country. Simply take your prescription to your local chemist and get modafinil under names like:
These are the brand name modafinil products sold in pharmacies in Australia. But for Australians looking to order modafinil online, common generic modafinil products include:
In our opinion, Modalert is the strongest generic modafinil brand available online. We highly recommend it. On the other hand, Modvigil is a cheap alternative for modafinil in Australia.
We’ve covered pretty much everything you need to know about buying the world’s best nootropic in the land down under.
- Baranski JV, Pigeau R, Dinich P, Jacobs I. Effects of modafinil on cognitive and meta-cognitive performance. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2004 Jul;19(5):323-32. doi: 10.1002/hup.596. PMID: 15252824.
- Teodorini, Rachel D et al. “The off-prescription use of modafinil: An online survey of perceived risks and benefits.” PloS one vol. 15,2 e0227818. 5 Feb. 2020, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0227818
- Pigeau R, Naitoh P, Buguet A, McCann C, Baranski J, Taylor M, Thompson M, MacK I I. Modafinil, d-amphetamine and placebo during 64 hours of sustained mental work. I. Effects on mood, fatigue, cognitive performance and body temperature. J Sleep Res. 1995 Dec;4(4):212-228. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.1995.tb00172.x. PMID: 10607161.
- Battleday RM, Brem AK. Modafinil for cognitive neuroenhancement in healthy non-sleep-deprived subjects: A systematic review. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2015 Nov;25(11):1865-81. doi: 10.1016/j.euroneuro.2015.07.028. Epub 2015 Aug 20. PMID: 26381811.
- Minzenberg MJ, Carter CS. Modafinil: a review of neurochemical actions and effects on cognition. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008 Jun;33(7):1477-502. doi: 10.1038/sj.npp.1301534. Epub 2007 Aug 22. PMID: 17712350.
- Provigil: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Warnings – Drugs.com. Drugs.com. (2021). Retrieved 5 March 2021, from https://www.drugs.com/provigil.html.
- Volkow, Nora D et al. “Effects of modafinil on dopamine and dopamine transporters in the male human brain: clinical implications.” JAMA vol. 301,11 (2009): 1148-54. doi:10.1001/jama.2009.351
- Krishnan, Raman, and Krishnan Vengadaragava Chary. “A rare case modafinil dependence.” Journal of pharmacology & pharmacotherapeutics vol. 6,1 (2015): 49-50. doi:10.4103/0976-500X.149149
- Provigil Side Effects Center. (2020, June 16). Retrieved from https://www.rxlist.com/provigil-side-effects-drug-center.htm
- (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/publications/publishing.nsf/Content/drugtreat-pubs-modpsy-toc~drugtreat-pubs-modpsy-3~drugtreat-pubs-modpsy-3-8~drugtreat-pubs-modpsy-3-8-mod
- Australian Government Department of Health. (n.d.). Scheduling handbook: Guidance for amending the Poisons Standard. Retrieved from https://www.tga.gov.au/publication/scheduling-handbook-guidance-amending-poisons-standard
- The Office of Drug Control of the Department of Health of the Australian Government. (n.d.). Controlled substances. Retrieved from https://www.odc.gov.au/ws-lps-index?search_api_views_full
- Therapeutic Goods Administration of the Department of Health of the Australian Government. (2017, July 11). Can I import it? Retrieved from https://www.odc.gov.au/ws-lps-index?search_api_views_full