It was a workday. I had no plans on socializing — much less Modafinil and sex.
I hit the gym bright and early, then popped a 200mg Modafinil and worked from 10am onward. Short breaks were consumed with chatting on What’s App with friends, family, and a couple girls.
Unsurprisingly, one thing led to the next, and the chatting led to setting up a date for around 9pm that evening.
I had no idea about the sexual side effects of Modafinil, but I wasn’t exactly focused on getting laid, either. After all, it was the first date.
I finished my work up an hour before the date, ate dinner, and handled some hygienic basics. A major key. Then I bounced out to meet up with the cutie.
Get 10% off all Buy Moda products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: BUYMODA#1
I am not a doctor. Nor am I a lawyer. This article was strictly created for your entertainment. There is no advice here. Always consult a medical professional before consuming any smart drugs or pharmaceutical drugs – like Modafinil. Please read my disclaimer.
Modafinil and Sex
She showed up looking kind of sexy. It could have been the Modafinil high, but her caramel skin, wide hips, and booty by squats had my mind focused on one thing.
And one thing only 😉
We chatted a bit over a glass of wine before the Modafinil high had me focused on bedroom gymnastics.
“So I have a full bottle of red at mine…”
She didn’t even let me finish the sentence before agreeing. A sh*t-eating grin came across my face. She had to have seen it. She didn’t seem to mind. I paid the bill and off we went. Luckily, we were in walking distance to my place.
The sexual side effects of Modafinil were the last thing on my mind as we arrived at my place.
I poured a little wine for us and before I knew it…
Modafinil’s Sexual Side Effects | My Experience
While I’ll spare you the gory details of how my first date ended after a day on Modafinil, I do want to discuss the sexual side effects of Modafinil. The ones I experienced personally. Later in this detailed guide, you’ll find side effects discussed with research studies.
The above encounter certainly wasn’t my only time engaging in coitus post-Modafinil, and I doubt it’ll be the last. So enough of my fluff for now.
Let’s dig into the meat and potatoes of this bad boy. Here’s exactly what I’ve learned about Modafinil and sex drive:
- Round One & Done: If you’re going to engage in coitus after a day using Modafinil, I wouldn’t plan on going more than one round. The drug typically inhibits a man’s sex drive. Thus, one round of sex may seem marginally entertaining, but going again and again will likely sound awful.
- Enhanced Experience: Due to the extra focus Modafinil offers, many find the sexual experience heightened while on this smart drug. Many find themselves more in the moment and focused on the pleasures of sex – rather than distracted. I can confirm the added focus on the task at hand does offer a more pleasurable experience, but only on certain occasions.
- Stamina Game Strong: While you’re likely to only want one session, you shouldn’t have difficulty extending your lovemaking abilities a little longer. As Modafinil hinders sex drive in most males, you’ll find lasting longer in bed comes naturally after taking this smart drug.
- Safety Not Coming First: While this may be personal, protection is easy to throw to the wind after taking this smart drug. Condoms often are a distant afterthought when having sex on Modafinil. Modafinil increases focus and often, that focus ends up on getting rid of the condom during sex on Modafinil. This is especially true if you’re so inclined to attempt round two.
- Find Your Focus: While Modafinil will typically inhibit sex drive in healthy males on the day of use, the opposite can occasionally be true, too. If you know you’ll be getting laid later in the evening, you may use the heightened focus from Modafinil to fantasize about the evening’s encounter. When the time comes, you may find the stamina boosting benefits of Modafinil consumption removed from your fantasizing. And yeah – I’m speaking from experience here ;(
P.S: This is just one man's experience with Modafinil and sex. So everything should be taken with a grain of salt. I cannot speak to the experiences of women.
Is it Safe?
While the safety of any prescription drug depends on one’s overall health, most users find Modafinil is one of the safest smart drugs around.
Modafinil side effects tend to be minor and not sexual in nature. Common side effects of Modafinil include :
- Loss of appetite
The majority of Modafinil users experience little to no side effects, yet it’s important to be aware of the risks.
Furthermore, none of the common side effects above are sexual.
While there’s some anecdotal evidence and a few studies, research about Modafinil and sex is not yet conclusive. Yet there are no other safety concerns.
Modafinil is 100% safe for the vast majority of users.
From a sexual side effects standpoint, you’ll want to think about a few factors before engaging in intercourse on days you’ve taken Modafinil. Below, you’ll find a few of the most interesting issues users experience when mixing Modafinil and making love.
Modafinil and Hypersexuality
Modafinil and hypersexuality is an interesting topic. Personally, I find myself less concerned about sex when taking Modafinil and more concerned with making money and getting things done.
Other users, especially female Modafinil users, have reported the opposite effects.
A scientific case report online shows one female user’s sex drive skyrocketed when taking Modafinil :
One week after the start of modafinil treatment, her sexual desire increased. Before this treatment, her sexual intercourse frequency was 1-2 times per week and after this treatment she wanted coitus every day. She has continual thoughts about sexuality. She didn’t have any additional medication use or medical condition that increase sexual desire. Modafinil dose was decreased 100 mg/day then to 50 mg/day. Her ESS score was 7 and daytime sleepiness had no effect on her life. After decreasing modafinil treatment her sexual desire returned to normal.
This is an interesting case report regarding Modafinil and sex drive in women. While men may find the opposite true, it seems Modafinil could increase sex drive in women.
However, certain men suffer from hypersexuality when taking Modafinil too. Although, this had only been documented at extremely high dosages. For example, another case study shows what happens when a man takes too much Modafinil on a consistent basis :
Over the next few weeks, he increased the dose to 800–1,000 mg/day in divided doses. Though there was no improvement in his mood, there was change in his sexual behavior. On seeing any women nearby, he started to have spontaneous erection and feel excited. His frequency of masturbation increased to 10–12 times/day, but he would not feel satisfied unlike his premorbid self. In addition to these symptoms, he started interacting with commercial sex workers (CSWs) on phone, would get aroused by mere talking with them.
Taking 1,000mg Modafinil daily is a high dosage. Not advised, and not just because of the potential sex drive side effects.
Overall, there hasn’t been a ton of research on the sexual side effects of Modafinil. It’s too early to tell, but anecdotal evidence points to Modafinil potentially causing hypersexuality in rare instances. Most users will have this issue.
Modafinil and Erectile DysfunctionThere’s few to no studies on Modafinil and erectile dysfunction. As such, we’ll be looking at case reports and anecdotal evidence when considering how the smart drug affects erection quality in males. Many users on Reddit have reported issues with erection quality after taking Modafinil, including this young man :
Therefore, the day after (Sunday), I decided to try taking 2 pills so I could try the standard 200mg dose. Unfortunately, it didn’t make a noticeable difference. It felt the same as the 100mg dose that I had tried the day before. Later that day, I realized I needed to masturbate (I masturbate basically once per week for testosterone boosting). To my surprise, I found it pretty difficult to get and hold an erection. I thought this was very unusual since I never have had problems getting hard, but assumed I simply wasn’t very horny at the moment and proceeded with the masturbating until I finished. Anyways, I was still a bit worried and a bit later on I decided to see if porn could get my dick going. But no, porn wasn’t nearly as exciting as it usually is for me, and I still struggled to get an erection. This is where I started to suspect modafinil was the cause of all this. A bit worried, I went to bed and hoped for better results the next day (today, Monday). Hopefully the drug would be out of my system by then. However, as of evening today, I’m still struggling with erection problems, with no real improvements so far. Obviously, I can’t be 100% sure that modafinil is the root of my problems, but I’d definitely say it’s the best candidate at the moment.Obviously, this is not an ideal situation. Modafinil seemingly hindered the young man’s ability to maintain an erection after just one day of use. Another user on a different forum posted similar results after taking Modafinil for the first time :
I took my first Modafinil (Modalert) from Friday to Sunday. I took 50mg on Fri and Sat, then 100mg spread across 3 hrs on Sunday, and it was all people crack it up to be. However, on Sunday I noticed I hadn’t thought of sex all weekend. No big deal, I was probably just focused on other things all weekend! So I turn on some porn to arouse myself, I quickly get into the porn a lot mentally, but my erection quality is far lower than usual and it doesn’t feel as good to touch myself. The approx. 70% erection also subsided directly after I stopped touching myself even for a few seconds. This morning I had no morning wood. I always have morning wood. I am also experiencing mild pelvic pain, right above my dick and mild pain in my left testicle.Again, not an ideal situation in my opinion. Modafinil is clearly causing erection quality issues for another young man. While forums and Reddit tend to be filled with stories of Modafinil and erectile dysfunction, there have been case studies that show otherwise. This is especially true in patients with a history of depression. For example, look at the result of this case report :
With the addition of Modafinil (200 mg /day),improvement was observed not only in psychomotor symptoms but also in erectile dysfunction of the patient.Modafinil clearly was helpful in eliminating erectile dysfunction issues in a patient suffering from depression too. Overall, there is not a direct link between Modafinil and erectile dysfunction as of yet. Further research is warranted to determine how the nootropic affects our sex lives. However, most young, healthy users find Modafinil hurts erection quality in most cases. These effects are not seen long-term in most cases. As such, there is very little risk here.
Modafinil and Sex Drive | What Others Noticed?
I’m certainly not the only individual interested in the sexual side effect of Modafinil. Googling “Modafinil and sex” tends to bring up some interesting searches.
“After taking the drug, I became painfully aware of my own dick, and thought about it for several hours.”
“DON’T watch porn while taking Modafinil. maybe you have more then i do, but if i don’t have my work spread out infront of me, and turn to porn while on moda, well… there goes my day, and i need an ice pack later! -=).”
While humorous, the thread doesn’t add much to this conversation.
When talking about the Modafinil and sex drive conversation, individual results will vary. Men and women will react differently to the smart drug, especially from a sexual standpoint.
Furthermore, due to every individual’s unique body chemistry, Modafinil will affect our sex lives differently. There’s no proven research studies regarding Modafinil and sex as of now.
How Does Modafinil Affect Your Sex Life? | Verdict
Welp, there’s only one way to truly find out 😉
Mixing Modafinil and sex doesn’t need to be a spectator sport now. However, unless you suffer from severe premature ejaculation, refraining from using Modafinil as a sexual supplement is generally advised.
Overall, the smart drug is not beneficial for men from a sexual standpoint. I doubt women will find any sexual benefit from Modafinil either, unless they experience a rare occurrence of hypersexuality.
However, consuming Modafinil for business purposes and then engaging in sexual intercourse should be okay. Just avoid consistent usage and the sexual side effects of Modafinil will be minimized.
If you’re ready to try it out for yourself, check out our guide on the best ways to purchase Modafinil online here. It’s never been easier to get your hands on the world’s most popular nootropic.
Lastly, if you have any further questions regarding sexual activity and Modafinil, please feel free to comment below. I’ll do my best to get back to you with a detailed response.
- Side Effects of Provigil (Modafinil), Warnings, Uses. (2018, May 8). Retrieved from https://www.rxlist.com/provigil-side-effects-drug-center.htm
- (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.davidpublisher.org/index.php/Home/Article/index?id=6883.html
- Swapnajeet, S., Bn, S., & Gourav, G. (2016, November 30). Modafinil Dependence and Hypersexuality: A Case Report and Review of the Evidence. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5083941/
- r/afinil – Modafinil causes erection problems? (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.reddit.com/r/afinil/comments/2s6q1t/modafinil_causes_erection_problems/
- Misc – Modafinil giving me ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION — anyone else experience this? (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.bluelight.org/xf/threads/modafinil-giving-me-erectile-dysfunction-anyone-else-experience-this.684400/
- Karaş, H., & Kaşer, M. (2019). Use of Modafinil in Co-existing Major Depression and ErectileDysfunction: A Case Report. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31487380
- Serefoglu, E. C. (2016, February). On-demand d-modafinil may be an effective treatment option for lifelong premature ejaculation: a case report. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25735219