Interested in learning more about Modawake? This Modawake Review offers information about the drug’s uses, side effects and dosing schedules.
For those in a hurry, Modawake is a generic brand of modafinil, an FDA-approved eugeroic used to treat conditions that cause daytime sleepiness and drowsiness.
But for those looking for a more detailed review of this drug, you may have questions like:
- What benefits does Modawake offer?
- What side effects can it cause?
- Is Modawake legal?
- And how does it compare to other generic brands of modafinil like Modawake and Modvigil?
This review aims to address all those questions and more.
Get 15% off all Buy Moda products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: BUYMODA#1
What Is Modawake?
Modawake is a generic version of modafinil, a wakefulness-promoting drug that has been approved by the FDA to treat narcolepsy. Modawake is manufactured by HBA Pharma in India  and comes in pill form. Each pill contains 200 mg of modafinil.
While many people have negative perceptions of generic drugs, they work exactly the same as brand-name drugs . Scientific studies have confirmed that generics offer “comparable clinical outcomes to [the] use of brand-name products” . Therefore, while Modawake may contain slightly different types of fillers, it is otherwise identical to brand-name modafinil products like Provigil in terms of its quality, dosage, strength and route of administration.
Modawake offers the same benefits as all other types of modafinil. Patients who receive a prescription for modafinil from their doctor may choose Modawake as a cost-effective alternative to brand-name products like Provigil.
Modawake can be used to treat patients who suffer from any condition that causes excessive daytime sleepiness or drowsiness. This includes:
- Narcolepsy, a rare condition that causes daytime drowsiness,
- Obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome, a condition that causes airways to become restricted during sleep.
- Shift work sleep disorder (SWSD), a condition that affects shift workers.
Studies have shown that modafinil increases levels of histamine in the brain and inhibits the reuptake of dopamine, which has a strong effect on “homeostatic and circadian modulation” and increases alertness . Modafinil helps treat patients with sleep-wake disorders because it has a positive effect on cognitive ability in patients that are sleep deprived .
Given modafinil’s ability to raise dopamine levels, it can also be used to treat patients who suffer from substance abuse disorders like cocaine and amphetamine addiction. Modafinil has been shown in a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to help treat cocaine dependence , and other substance abuse disorders .
Separate research has indicated that modafinil can help treat children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) . However, this is an unapproved use of the drug and is recommended as a third-tier option when other treatments have failed .
Just like other forms of modafinil, Modawake purportedly offers several cognitive benefits. To date, it has not been approved for this use. However, surveys have revealed that many people self-administer modafinil as a “cognitive enhancer” or “nootropic” .
The cognitive benefits of modafinil are based on research that shows the drug has a significant effect on “mood, fatigue, and cognitive performance” during periods of “sustained mental work” . These findings have made the drug attractive to those who engage in complex work and/or need to remain active and engaged for long hours.
Further research has indicated that modafinil offers “cognitive neuroenhancement” even in ”healthy non-sleep-deprived subjects;” that is, those without a sleep-wake disorder . This has been corroborated by research findings that modafinil has a pronounced “effect on cognition” .
Those interested in taking modafinil may be attracted to Modawake as it is widely available online and has a low price-point compared with brand-name products like Provigil.
Modawake Side Effects
To date, no published research has focused on side effects caused by Modawake specifically. However, as a generic version of modafinil, Modawake shares an identical side effect profile.
The side effects caused by modafinil have been widely researched and are fully documented . They include things like:
- Back pain,
- Stuffy nose and/or dry throat,
- Insomnia, and
Additionally, modafinil may also cause allergic reactions such as swelling, rashes, fever and difficulty breathing. Patients who experience any adverse reaction when taking modafinil or Modawake should cease use immediately and seek medical advice.
As Modawake has not been approved as a cognitive enhancer, there is little medical data about its side effects when taken for this purpose. The closest known study involved research subjects who had been wrongly diagnosed with narcolepsy and were prescribed modafinil . Findings from this study indicated that the most common side effects were nausea, insomnia, vertigo and headaches.
Modafinil is a prescription drug in most countries because it has a significant impact on dopamine levels . As with all drugs that increase dopamine, there is concern that modafinil may be habit-forming. But that’s not the case with modafinil. In the US, modafinil is classed as a Schedule IV drug, which means it’s considered to have a low risk of addiction and dependence .
Studies into the risk of modafinil dependence are sparse and indicate that problems only occur when patients take multiples of the recommended daily dose .
Where To Buy Modawake Online? | 2022 Guide
Patients with a modafinil prescription may be offered a generic version of the drug when they visit a pharmacy, or they may choose to buy the drug online, where permitted by local laws. As a generic drug manufactured in India, Modawake is widely available online but not all vendors offer the same benefits in terms of quality, price and delivery.
Our team has reviewed dozens of online modafinil vendors and vetted them all in terms of:
- Product quality
- Prices, and
- Speed of delivery
We’ve found the most reliable Modawake vendor to be: Buy Modafinil Online.
Buy Modafinil Online is an established vendor with a proven track record of shipping high-quality Modawake to customers online. When we reviewed their service, this is what we found:
- Free Shipping: This vendor offers free shipping on all orders over $130, making them great value for money. They ship worldwide to all EU countries, Asia, the USA, Australia, the United Kingdom, and others. Patients in New Zealand and Thailand are advised to use another vendor: BuyModa.
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee: If you aren’t completely satisfied with the quality of the Modawake you receive, you have 30 days to request a refund. This lets you try Modawake without risking your money.
- 100% Delivery Guarantee: Buy Modafinil Online offers free refunds and reships in the event of a package being held up in customs or lost. This guarantee can help allay the fear of patients who are ordering Modawake online for the first time.
- Bitcoin Discount: This vendor does accept secure credit card and PayPal payments, however, they encourage customers to pay with Bitcoin. This is because PayPal, Visa, AmEx, and MasterCard prohibit all direct transactions for prescription medications online and charge large fees. When you pay with Bitcoin, you’ll get 23% off your entire order.
- Same-Day Dispatch: When you order before 5 pm PST, your package will be dispatched on the same day. Orders typically take between 14-30 days, however, you can pay extra for EMS shipping which takes 7-12 days. If you live in the EU, you can pay for guaranteed shipping and have your order sent from Poland.
In our review of this vendor, we found that Buy Modafinil Online was able to deliver on its promises. Our orders arrived quickly and when we tested the Modawake with a reagent test, it had an extremely high purity.
Patients interested in buying modafinil online would be well suited to shop here. It is the most reliable Modawake vendor that our team has reviewed to date.
Is Modawake Legal?
Modawake is subject to all the same laws as brand-name modafinil. While these vary from one country to the next, modafinil, and by extension Modawake, is legal everywhere provided that the patient has a valid prescription from a doctor.
In most countries, modafinil can only be prescribed to patients who have been diagnosed with a condition that causes excessive daytime sleepiness like narcolepsy. As we outlined above, modafinil is also used to treat other conditions like sleep apnea and SWSD. Patients who are diagnosed with one or more of these conditions can choose to buy either brand-name modafinil like Provigil, or a brand-name version like Modawake.
While modafinil isn’t registered in certain countries, it is illegal to import and/or sell unregistered medicines.
How Long Does Modawake Take To Work?
Modawake works exactly like every other type of brand-name and generic form of modafinil. Patients who have been prescribed modafinil are generally advised to take it early in the morning, or, if they suffer from SWSD, one hour before their shift starts . This anecdotal evidence suggests that Modawake takes around one hour to work; however, everyone responds to drugs slightly differently.
Modawake Dosage and Tolerance
Modawake tablets are available in the same strength (200 mg) as brand-name modafinil, are prescribed in the same quantities, and have the same instructions for how to take them.
Adult patients who have been diagnosed with narcolepsy and/or obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome may be advised to take one 200 mg tablet daily, usually in the morning. For adult patients diagnosed with SWSD, the approved posology is one 200 mg tablet, one hour before the start of their shift .
In the EU, patients who show an insufficient response of a 200 mg/day dose, may be prescribed 400 mg/day (two pills) . This suggests that while modafinil is tolerated at doses of 200-400 mg/day, patients should take the dose advised by their primary care physician.
Modawake vs. Modalert vs. Modvigil vs. Provigil
Patients who receive a prescription for brand-name modafinil, such as Provigil, may choose to buy a generic version instead. Modawake, Modalert and Modvigil are all generic versions of modafinil, and our team has found that they cost significantly less than Provigil.
According to the FDA, generic drugs work in exactly the same way as prescription drugs . Therefore, all three generic drugs have the same uses and side effect profile as Provigil, and the only discernible difference is the price.
However, in reality, there are minor differences between Modawake, Modalert and Modvigil.
Our team prefers Modalert and Modvigil to Modawake. There are two main reasons for our preference; however, it’s important to note that we’re basing this on our own experience, not scientific studies.
First, we find Modalert to be longer-lasting than both Modawake and Modvigil. While all three products help increase wakefulness for at least 12 hours, Modalert seems to have a longer-lasting effect.
And second, Modawake costs the same as Modalert. Our team paid $249 for 200 Modalert 200 mg pills from BuyModa and the same price, $249, for 200 Modawake 200 mg pills from BuyModafinilOnline. For patients looking for the lowest cost option, 200 Modvigil 200 mg pills cost just $199.
That's how we think Modawake stacks up against Modvigil and Modafresh. Overall, there is very little between them and they all perform exactly like brand-name Provigil for a fraction of the price.
Modawake Review | Verdict?
We hope that our readers interested in a full Modawake review were able to find the information they were looking for above. Overall, Modawake is a high-quality generic alternative to Provigil that can offer a cost-effective option for those with a modafinil prescription.
Our team has found that Modawake performs exactly like other brand-name and generic brands of modafinil with comparatively few differences.
- HRA Pharma | Homepage. Hra-pharma.com. (2021). Retrieved 7 March 2021, from https://www.hra-pharma.com/.
- Generic Drug Facts. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (2021). Retrieved 5 March 2021, from https://www.fda.gov/drugs/generic-drugs/generic-drug-facts.
- Desai RJ, Sarpatwari A, Dejene S, Khan NF, Lii J, Rogers JR, Dutcher SK, Raofi S, Bohn J, Connolly JG, Fischer MA, Kesselheim AS, Gagne JJ. Comparative effectiveness of generic and brand-name medication use: A database study of US health insurance claims. PLoS Med. 2019 Mar 13;16(3):e1002763. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1002763. PMID: 30865626; PMCID: PMC6415809.
- Chapotot F, Pigeau R, Canini F, Bourdon L, Buguet A. Distinctive effects of modafinil and d-amphetamine on the homeostatic and circadian modulation of the human waking EEG. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2003 Mar;166(2):127-38. doi: 10.1007/s00213-002-1315-8. Epub 2003 Jan 28. PMID: 12552359.
- Baranski JV, Pigeau RA. Self-monitoring cognitive performance during sleep deprivation: effects of modafinil, d-amphetamine and placebo. J Sleep Res. 1997 Jun;6(2):84-91. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.1997.00032.x. PMID: 9377538.
- Dackis CA, Kampman KM, Lynch KG, Pettinati HM, O'Brien CP. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of modafinil for cocaine dependence. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005 Jan;30(1):205-11. doi: 10.1038/sj.npp.1300600. PMID: 15525998.
- Mereu M, Bonci A, Newman AH, Tanda G. The neurobiology of modafinil as an enhancer of cognitive performance and a potential treatment for substance use disorders. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2013 Oct;229(3):415-34. doi: 10.1007/s00213-013-3232-4. Epub 2013 Aug 10. PMID: 23934211; PMCID: PMC3800148.
- Biederman J, Swanson JM, Wigal SB, Boellner SW, Earl CQ, Lopez FA; Modafinil ADHD Study Group. A comparison of once-daily and divided doses of modafinil in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006 May;67(5):727-35. doi: 10.4088/jcp.v67n0506. PMID: 16841622.
- Provigil: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Warnings – Drugs.com. Drugs.com. (2021). Retrieved 5 March 2021, from https://www.drugs.com/provigil.html.
- Teodorini, Rachel D et al. “The off-prescription use of modafinil: An online survey of perceived risks and benefits.” PloS one vol. 15,2 e0227818. 5 Feb. 2020, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0227818
- Pigeau R, Naitoh P, Buguet A, McCann C, Baranski J, Taylor M, Thompson M, MacK I I. Modafinil, d-amphetamine and placebo during 64 hours of sustained mental work. I. Effects on mood, fatigue, cognitive performance and body temperature. J Sleep Res. 1995 Dec;4(4):212-228. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.1995.tb00172.x. PMID: 10607161.
- Battleday RM, Brem AK. Modafinil for cognitive neuroenhancement in healthy non-sleep-deprived subjects: A systematic review. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2015 Nov;25(11):1865-81. doi: 10.1016/j.euroneuro.2015.07.028. Epub 2015 Aug 20. PMID: 26381811.
- Minzenberg MJ, Carter CS. Modafinil: a review of neurochemical actions and effects on cognition. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008 Jun;33(7):1477-502. doi: 10.1038/sj.npp.1301534. Epub 2007 Aug 22. PMID: 17712350.
- Lopes E, Pereira D, da Silva Behrens NS, de Almeida Fonseca H, Calvancanti PO, de Araújo Lima TF, Pradella-Hallinan M, Castro J, Tufik S, Coelho FM. Cataplexy as a side effect of modafinil in a patient without narcolepsy. Sleep Sci. 2014 Mar;7(1):47-9. doi: 10.1016/j.slsci.2014.07.015. Epub 2014 Aug 19. PMID: 26483900; PMCID: PMC4521649.
- Volkow, Nora D et al. “Effects of modafinil on dopamine and dopamine transporters in the male human brain: clinical implications.” JAMA vol. 301,11 (2009): 1148-54. doi:10.1001/jama.2009.351
- Drug Scheduling. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.dea.gov/drug-scheduling
- Krishnan, Raman, and Krishnan Vengadaragava Chary. “A rare case modafinil dependence.” Journal of pharmacology & pharmacotherapeutics vol. 6,1 (2015): 49-50. doi:10.4103/0976-500X.149149
- Legemiddelverket.no. (2021). Retrieved 6 March 2021, from https://legemiddelverket.no/Documents/Bivirkninger%20og%20sikkerhet/Bivirkningsnyheter%20annet/11-10273-20%20Summary%20of%20scientific%20discussion%204407407_2_0.pdf.