Wondering how to buy Modafinil in Portugal these days?
Then you're in luck. This comprehensive guide covers everything you need to know about Modafinil while living on this stunning part of the Iberian Peninsula.
But for those of you looking to get your hands on nootropics rápido…
That link above is for those who are ready to buy Modafinil and want to get straight to a quality vendor. If you’re looking for more, read on, because everything you need to know about Portugal and smart drugs can be found below.
We’ll be discussing legalities, prescriptions, buying options, and so much more.
What Is Modafinil?
Many fans of Modafinil refer to it as the real-life “Limitless” pill. It’s believed that the movie’s script writers were inspired, in part, by this smart drug and what it can do for cognitive performance.
But Modafinil wasn’t originally intended to be a smart drug. It was discovered in France during the 1970s and classified as a ‘eugeroic’, which means a type of drug that helps people fight fatigue. Modafinil was released in France under the trade name ‘Modiodal’ in the early 1990s as a treatment for narcolepsy, a condition that causes sufferers to become drowsy and sleepy during the day. Modiodal was released in Portugal in 1997.
Modafinil’s primary effect is to increase levels of histamine and dopamine in the brain, which produces a feeling of ‘hyper-alertness’ that lasts for over 12 hours . This makes the drug ideally suited to treat a wide range of sleep-related disorders including sleep apnea, Shift Work Disorder, and Seasonal Affective Disorder.
Researchers have also found Modafinil to be helpful for the treatment of a range of cognitive conditions such as Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) , and cocaine dependence . In short, Modafinil has a myriad of medical uses. It has a reputation for being a supremely capable pharmaceutical drug. But that's probably not why you're here. You're probably here to learn about Modafinil as a smart drug or ‘nootropic’.
You see, in healthy individuals, Modafinil acts as a powerful stimulant. A single 200mg tablet will give you:
- Extreme, sustained focus .
- Better memory .
- Increased motivation.
- Improved problem-solving ability .
- The inability to feel fatigued .
- And much more!
Due to these benefits, Modafinil has attained “cult-status” as the world’s most powerful smart drug. It’s the preferred nootropic for anyone looking to get ahead in life, from hard-working college students to young professionals, and CEOs who want to boost their potential and cognitive performance.
Modafinil lasts for over 12 hours and most users find they can squeeze over two days of hard work into one when taking this amazing smart drug!
Now, Modafinil won’t make you superman and it doesn’t give you superpowers. You still have to eat healthily, get proper rest, and exercise regularly to get the most out of it. But if you do…
You’ll be a productivity machine.
Modafinil Side Effects and Safety
Part of maximizing your health while using Modafinil also involves having full awareness of its potential side effects. If that sentence just spooked you, then hear us out…
Modafinil is quite literally one of the safest smart drugs in existence. It has very few documented side effects and they tend to be mild and typically only affect a tiny fraction of people who take the drug.
For more context, here's a shortlist of some of the most common side effects people experience when they take Modafinil :
- An upset stomach.
- Dry mouth/eyes/throat.
- Sleeplessness and/or insomnia.
In exceptionally rare circumstances, Modafinil may cause things like :
- Irregular, faster-paced heartbeat.
- Skin rashes.
- Increased blood pressure.
- Sudden mood changes – aggressiveness, depression, mania.
The four serious side effects mentioned above are most commonly associated with overdosing. This means consistently taking more than 200 mg of Modafinil per day for several weeks at a time. The only reported case of anyone becoming dependent on Modafinil involved a person who consumed 1,200mg of the drug – many multiples of the recommended dose .
Just use common sense and you'll be fine. Of course, seek medical help if you are experiencing any of these side effects and/or have any medical concerns.
Is Modafinil Legal in Portugal?
So, the question at hand:
Is Modafinil legal in Portugal?
This is somewhat of a legal ‘grey area’ and the answer is:
While you won't ever have legal issues importing this nootropic to Portugal without a prescription, the short answer is that:
Modafinil is a prescription drug in Portugal that is sold under the product name ‘Modiodal’. You’ll need a prescription from a doctor to get this drug from a pharmacy.
Because Portugal is an EU country, it’s subject to the European Medicines Agency (EMA), the principle governing body regulating medicines in the European Union . They decided some time ago that Modafinil is NOT to be sold or distributed unless it has been prescribed to an adult who suffers from excessive sleepiness associated with narcolepsy .
If you do suffer from narcolepsy or a similar condition, getting a prescription for ‘Modiodal’ is simple. You’ll need to visit your regular doctor and ask for a referral to a sleep specialist. They will ask you to undergo an overnight sleep study so they can monitor your symptoms before making a diagnosis.
But we’re going to guess that you don’t have one of these conditions and simply want to take Modafinil as a smart drug…
While you may be tempted to try and convince your doctor that you suffer from excessive sleepiness, we don’t recommend it. Sleep studies are exceptionally costly and you can’t ‘fake’ having a medical condition.
The good news is that you can buy generic Modafinil brands online without a prescription that are just as potent, powerful, and safe as prescription Modiodal. There is no discernible difference…
Other than the fact that the brand-name ‘Modiodal’ is about ten times more expensive.
Basically, it's super easy to order Modafinil online in Portugal — and you have zero legal worries when doing so.
While we’re not doctors, there have been zero reported cases of anyone having legal troubles for importing Modafinil into Portugal. Furthermore, all of our top vendors ship to Portugal with GUARANTEED delivery — which suggests it's easy to ship Modafinil through customs in Portugal.
This means you have no worries when buying Modafinil online in Portugal!
Where to Buy Modafinil Online in Portugal | 2021 Guide
Here's the section many of you were waiting for – the best online Modafinil vendors that ship to Portugal.
We have two options for you: Buy Moda and Modafinil XL.
Both of these vendors do a tremendous job of shipping high-quality nootropics to customers in Portugal and come highly recommended.
There are just a few minor differences between them – read on and all will be revealed…
First up we’ve got Buy Moda. This is one of the oldest and most trusted Modafinil vendors and definitely our first choice for anyone living in Portugal. They have great prices, fast shipping times, and a great customer service team to help you through each step of the buying journey.
Specifically, here are some of the things we love about them:
- Money-Back Guarantee: Buy Moda has years of experience shipping Modafinil to customers in Portugal. But in the extremely rare event that an order is stopped at customs or lost, they have a solid refund policy in place. First, they’ll reship your order for free. If the second package doesn’t arrive, they’ll refund your cash – no questions asked.
- Top Discounts: Fancy getting 20% off your entire order? Then pay with Bitcoin! If you haven’t got into crypto yet, there’s never been a better time to start.
- Large Product Selection: Buy Moda carries Modvigil, Modalert, and Artvigil – three of the top generic Modafinil products around. You’re spoilt for choice.
- Free Shipping on orders over $100: If you spend more than $100, you’ll get free shipping. They’ll also throw in 30 free pills if you spend more than $150, making it even better value.
- Discreet Packaging: One of the reasons why Buy Moda has such a high success rate is that they ship all their nootropics in discreet, plain packaging. You’ll have no hassles with customs or with anyone you live with finding out about your Modafinil habit.
In short, Buy Moda offers terrific service and comes highly recommended. We guaranteed that you’ll have a great experience when you order from these guys – you’ll get your Modafinil quickly and will find that it’s very high quality.
Get 15% off all Buy Moda products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: BUYMODA#1
The second vendor we recommend is Modafinil XL. They offer almost exactly the same great benefits as Buy Moda but do a few things a little differently. You may find what they offer especially interesting if you’re new to Modafinil…
Here’s the deal:
- Highly Informative Website: Modafinil XL has an extremely comprehensive website that will teach you everything you need to know about Modafinil. This is ideal for anyone who is new to the smart drugs scene and wants to find out as much as possible.
- Free Sample Pack: Never taken Modafinil before? Modafinil XL will send you 10 free pills to try – at absolutely no cost! All they ask is that you cover the shipping ($29) and they’ll do the rest. You get to see their speedy delivery and high-quality products first-hand before deciding whether to make a proper order.
- Free Reships and Refunds as Required: Modafinil XL has been in business for years and their shipping success rate is nearly 100%. But to cover the rare cases where shipments are stopped or lost, they offer free reships and refunds as required. But don’t worry – this virtually never happens!
- Fab Freebies! Modafinil XL virtually showers you with freebies when you shop with them. They give away 10 free Modafinil pills and 10 free Armodafinil pills with EVERY ORDER! Plus, if you spend just $80, shipping is free.
As you can see, Modafinil XL does a great job overall. Their prices aren’t quite as low as Buy Moda’s but they do offer a 20% discount for customers who pay using Bitcoin and their free shipping kicks in at a lower price-point. They are well worth checking out, especially for their free sample pack.
Get 10% off all ModafinilXL products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: ENJOY10OFF
‘Brand Name’ Modafinil and Armodafinil in Portugal
In Portugal, pharmacies stock brand-name Modafinil called ‘Modiodal’. They also stock ‘Nuvigil’ which is the brand name for Armodafinil, a newer, improved version of Modafinil. Essentially, these two drugs are ‘enantiopure’ compounds, meaning they are mirror images of each other. However, Armodafinil has a longer half-life and is a more potent wakefulness agent.
The big catch is that you’ll need a prescription to buy either of these drugs from a pharmacy, and you’ll only get one of those if you are diagnosed with narcolepsy, excessive daytime sleepiness, or a related disorder. If not, then good luck because we doubt you’ll get one for any other reason.
Let’s assume you do. If so, you can expect to be prescribed with ‘Modiodal’ which is the product name for Modafinil in Portugal, or ‘Nuvigil’ which is the brand name for Armodafinil.
However, if you don’t have a prescription for one of these drugs and decide to buy them online, you won’t see Modiodal or Nuvigil for sale. Instead, you can expect to see the following brands:
The good news is that there is zero difference in terms of safety, quality, or effectiveness when comparing generic Modafinil brands with brand-name Modafinil like Modiodal. On a chemical level, they are absolutely identical.
Honestly, the only real difference is that brand name Modafinil is about ten times more expensive than generic brands. For that reason, we suggest you go ahead and order online. You’ll get high quality, safe Modafinil for a fraction of the cost.
We tend to prefer Modalert over the other generic brands; it’s the strongest, most potent form there is.
Oh, if you’re new to the nootropic game….
Just to be absolutely clear:
You’ll have absolutely no problem getting your hands on generic Modafinil in Portugal. It shouldn't be a problem at all. There has not been a single case of anyone having legal issues when buying Modafinil online. In fact, there’s never been a single case in the whole of the EU.
But some of you may want to stay completely legal. And some of you may be wary of taking a prescription drug.
We get it. That’s why we recommend a powerful Modafinil alternative:
Mind Lab Pro
Mind Lab Pro is arguably the best over-the-counter nootropic you’ll ever find. At least, it’s the best we’ve yet tried. What makes it so great?
For starters, it’s certified drug free and is a dietary supplement, not a pharmaceutical. This means that it has ZERO side effects and is safe enough to be taken year-round without a break.
We can’t say the same for Modafinil…
One of the main reasons why Modafinil is a prescription drug is that the risk of dependence with long-term use cannot be excluded. Simply put, your body quickly develops a tolerance and the cognitive effects start to diminish. If you compensate by increasing your dose, you will put yourself at greater risk of side effects .
To avoid this, we recommend limiting your dose to no more than 200mg/day for a maximum of twice per week. Take a complete two-week break every two months. On your ‘off’ days from Modafinil when you still need a cognitive boost, Mind Lab Pro is perfect.
It contains a grand total of 11 key ingredients that each boost your cognition and mental abilities. For example, this smart drug contains a special form of Citicoline that optimizes brain pathways and boosts focus, attentiveness, and overall cognitive performance . It also contains Lion’s Mane Mushroom which has been proven to improve memory .
It’s similar enough to Modafinil in many ways.
But you also have amino acids like N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine and Bacopa Monnieri that both protect your brain when it’s under stress . These ingredients, combined with vitamins B6, B9, and B12, give you protective, regenerative, and performance-boosting effects in one nootropic .
Highly, highly recommended!
It should be noted that Mind Lab Pro ‘only’ offers cognitive benefits for 6-8+ hours, while Modafinil keeps you kicking for 12-15+ hours. So Modafinil lasts a bit longer and is more powerful.
However, Mind Lab Pro is still pretty potent too!
It’s our favorite Modafinil alternative for a good reason.
Mind Lab Pro!
Modafinil in Portugal | Verdict
Alright, that’s all. We’ve covered everything there is to cover when it comes to Modafinil in Portugal.
Now you know about legalities, prescriptions, what Modafinil is, why it’s so great, where to get it, and even a solid Modafinil-like nootropic that has zero side effects.
- Gerrard, Paul, and Robert Malcolm. “Mechanisms of modafinil: A review of current research.” Neuropsychiatric disease and treatment 3,3 (2007): 349-64.
- Biederman J, Swanson JM, Wigal SB, Boellner SW, Earl CQ, Lopez FA; Modafinil ADHD Study Group. A comparison of once-daily and divided doses of modafinil in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006 May;67(5):727-35. doi: 10.4088/jcp.v67n0506. PMID: 16841622.
- Dackis CA, Kampman KM, Lynch KG, Pettinati HM, O'Brien CP. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of modafinil for cocaine dependence. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005 Jan;30(1):205-11. doi: 10.1038/sj.npp.1300600. PMID: 15525998.
- Pigeau R, Naitoh P, Buguet A, McCann C, Baranski J, Taylor M, Thompson M, MacK I I. Modafinil, d-amphetamine and placebo during 64 hours of sustained mental work. I. Effects on mood, fatigue, cognitive performance and body temperature. J Sleep Res. 1995 Dec;4(4):212-228. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.1995.tb00172.x. PMID: 10607161.
- Müller, U., Rowe, J. B., Rittman, T., Lewis, C., Robbins, T. W., & Sahakian, B. J. (2013, January). Effects of modafinil on non-verbal cognition, task enjoyment and creative thinking in healthy volunteers. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3485563/
- Chapotot F, Pigeau R, Canini F, Bourdon L, Buguet A. Distinctive effects of modafinil and d-amphetamine on the homeostatic and circadian modulation of the human waking EEG. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2003 Mar;166(2):127-38. doi: 10.1007/s00213-002-1315-8. Epub 2003 Jan 28. PMID: 12552359.
- Baranski JV, Pigeau RA. Self-monitoring cognitive performance during sleep deprivation: effects of modafinil, d-amphetamine and placebo. J Sleep Res. 1997 Jun;6(2):84-91. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.1997.00032.x. PMID: 9377538.
- Apo-Modafinil. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.rexall.ca/articles/view/2663/Apo-Modafinil
- Modafinil Side Effects. (2019, November 19). Retrieved from https://www.drugs.com/sfx/modafinil-side-effects.html
- Krishnan R, Chary KV. A rare case modafinil dependence. J Pharmacol Pharmacother. 2015;6(1):49-50. doi:10.4103/0976-500X.149149
- The European regulatory system for medicines. (2016). Retrieved from https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/leaflet/european-regulatory-system-medicines-european-medicines-agency-consistent-approach-medicines_en.pdf
- European Medicines Agency recommends restricting the use of modafinil. (2010, July 22). Retrieved from https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/european-medicines-agency-recommends-restricting-use-modafinil
- Lopes E, Pereira D, da Silva Behrens NS, de Almeida Fonseca H, Calvancanti PO, de Araújo Lima TF, Pradella-Hallinan M, Castro J, Tufik S, Coelho FM. Cataplexy as a side effect of modafinil in a patient without narcolepsy. Sleep Sci. 2014 Mar;7(1):47-9. doi: 10.1016/j.slsci.2014.07.015. Epub 2014 Aug 19. PMID: 26483900; PMCID: PMC4521649.
- Grieb P. Neuroprotective properties of citicoline: facts, doubts and unresolved issues. CNS Drugs. 2014;28(3):185-193. doi:10.1007/s40263-014-0144-8
- Mori K, Inatomi S, Ouchi K, Azumi Y, Tuchida T. Improving effects of the mushroom Yamabushitake (Hericium erinaceus) on mild cognitive impairment: a double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. Phytother Res. 2009;23(3):367-372. doi:10.1002/ptr.2634
- Kongkeaw C, Dilokthornsakul P, Thanarangsarit P, Limpeanchob N, Norman Scholfield C. Meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials on cognitive effects of Bacopa monnieri extract. J Ethnopharmacol. 2014;151(1):528-535. doi:10.1016/j.jep.2013.11.008
- Kennedy DO. B Vitamins and the Brain: Mechanisms, Dose and Efficacy–A Review. Nutrients. 2016 Jan 27;8(2):68. doi: 10.3390/nu8020068. PMID: 26828517; PMCID: PMC4772032.