If you’re curious about how to buy Modafinil in Thailand, you’ve come to the perfect place.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll break down everything you need to know about getting your hands on the world’s most popular nootropic while living in the Land of Smiles.
If you’re looking for the simplest answer, here’s the gist of it…
Get 10% off all Buy Moda products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: BUYMODA#1
But if you want a more in-depth guide, then keep reading…
We’ll explain the benefits and side effects of Modafinil, outline its legal status in Thailand, and explain exactly how to get your hands on some during your time in the country.
Our only goal for this guide is to help you get your hands on the world’s best nootropic without any hassles, whether you are visiting as a tourist, or staying long term as an expat, retiree, or digital nomad.
This is not legal or medical advice. This article was strictly created for your entertainment. Please consult with your primary care physician or a medical professional with close working knowledge of your health -- before consuming pharmaceutical drugs or nootropics, like Modafinil. Please read my disclaimer.
What is Modafinil?
Before we outline the legalities of Modafinil in Thailand and explain how to buy it, let’s briefly look at what this smart drug is and why it’s so popular.
- 12+ hours of insane focus
- Improved memory
- Better cognitive functions
- Heightened productivity
- Inability to feel fatigued, i.e. great for all-nighters
- …And more!
In short, if you want to crush your workload and accomplish anything you set your mind to, Modafinil is what you need.
So, how did this wonder drug come about?
Modafinil is basically a ‘wakefulness-promoting’ medicine (or ‘eugeroic’) that was released in France in 1992 under the brand name “Provigil” . It is used to treat narcolepsy, sleep apnea and Shift Work Disorder .
However, Modafinil isn’t only great at promoting wakefulness…
Several scientific studies have shown that Modafinil offers a multitude of exciting cognitive benefits, too . It can be used to treat things like schizophrenia , attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder , cocaine addiction , and other cognitive dysfunctions and ailments. These are what are known as ‘off label’ benefits, and it didn’t take long for people outside the medical community to learn about them.
Soon after its release, ‘off prescription’ use of Modafinil spread like wildfire throughout Europe and the USA, mostly among students, hustlers, and entrepreneurs who wanted to pull all-nighters and dominate their competition. Before long, even people in South East Asian nations, like Thailand, were looking to get their hands on some of this wonder drug.
You see, although Modafinil has never been officially released in Thailand, it’s reputation precedes it. There’s a good reason you’re curious about how to buy this smart drug in the Land of Smiles:
Because Modafinil just works.
Modafinil Side Effects and Safety
Modafinil can be a real blast to use! It allows you to enter a world inside yourself that previously seemed to be inaccessible.
But we’d be lying if we said it didn’t come with any side effects. It does . So, what do you need to know about Modafinil’s side effects and safety before you take it?
Firstly, although Modafinil isn’t registered in Thailand, it is a prescription-only medicine in most parts of the world. That’s because it can cause side effects and it has a low risk of abuse and dependence.
To understand this, we need to look at how Modafinil works. It’s essentially a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant that increases levels of dopamine and histamine in the brain . These two neurotransmitters are responsibly for making you feel ‘hyper’ alert, even if you’re doing boring or monotonous work .
The extra dopamine is helpful because it boosts your mood and improves your memory . However, you need to be careful about developing a dependence . Some medical experts are concerned that excessive Modafinil use could harm vulnerable individuals and result in addiction .
Luckily, cases of Modafinil dependence are extremely rare . The only cases involve people taking vast amounts of Modafinil (1,200mg+).
To avoid this, we recommend that you start with 100mg per day to see how you respond. And then decide whether you need to increase the dosage. Never take Modafinil more than a couple of times per week. Only take it on days when you need to obliterate your workload or pull an all-nighter. Modafinil is not a replacement for sleep and certainly isn’t a smart drug that you can use every single day.
In practice, studies have shown that doses of 200mg of Modafinil produce few if any side effects. At this dose, the most common side effects are things like headaches, stomach issues, a dry mouth, and trouble sleeping . But these side effect are all mild and temporary in nature, and most people experience few if any side effects at all.
Usually, the root cause of headaches and nausea is people simply forgetting to eat and drink enough during the day. Modafinil suppresses the appetite, so it’s important to remind yourself to stick with regular meal times.
The only people who should avoid taking Modafinil are those who suffer from severe anxiety or depression, or those who are pregnant or nursing , as Modafinil has been linked to birth defects.
If that sounds like you, we highly recommend talking to your doctor and avoiding Modafinil use altogether.
Is Modafinil Legal in Thailand?
Now, we’re not lawyers or legal scholars, so the following should not be taken as legal advice. This section about the legalities of Modafinil in Thailand should not be misconstrued as anything more than hyperbole. We urge you to follow the laws of Thailand during your stay and always do due diligence.
So, is Modafinil legal in the Land of Smiles?
Yes and no. Honestly, it’s a grey area. Here’s the simplest way to break things down.
Modafinil has never been released in Thailand and is not registered with the Thai FDA. At the time of writing, there are no registered brand names for the drug in the country.
This means that it cannot be prescribed by a Thai doctor or sold at a Thai pharmacy.
However, as per the 1979 Narcotics Act and the 1975 Psychotropic Substances Act , Modafinil is classified as a ‘general drug’ and is not classified as either a narcotic drug or a psychotropic substance – it is simply ‘unregistered’.
According to the Thai FDA , visitors are allowed to bring a 30-days supply of unregistered medications (like Modafinil) into Thailand when they enter, provided that:
- They have a certifying letter from the doctor who prescribed the medication.
- The letter clearly states the patient’s name and their symptoms and sickness.
In other words, it is 100% legal for anyone visiting Thailand to carry a supply of up to 30 days’ of the drug into Thailand for personal use.
But this doesn’t mean that Modafinil is entirely legal.
Under Thai law, it is a criminal offense for a person or business to sell an unregistered medication.
It is also illegal to possess an unregistered medication without a certifying letter from the doctor who prescribed it.
Can You Buy Modafinil in Thailand From a Pharmacy?
It is very difficult to find a pharmacy in Thailand that sells Modafinil.
All Thai pharmacies use the Thailand edition of the MIMS Drug Reference guide. This guide lists all medicines that are currently prescribed in Thailand, and Modafinil isn’t one of them.
Thailand has several nationwide pharmacy chains such as ‘SaveDrug’, ‘SuperSave’, and the British brand ‘Boots’, but these chains don’t sell Modafinil and the pharmacists won’t even have heard of it.
That’s because, as we explained above, Modafinil isn’t registered in Thailand, so you cannot legally buy it from a pharmacy, or be prescribed some by a Thai doctor or physician.
However, there are a handful of pharmacies in popular tourist areas in Bangkok, Phuket, and Chiang Mai that will sell generic versions of Modafinil to customers without a prescription.
Is this legal? No. But laws regarding the sale of unregistered medications aren’t strictly enforced.
Which pharmacies sell Modafinil in Thailand?
The independent pharmacies in Thailand that sell generic brands of Modafinil and are usually located in popular tourist areas.
Examples of such areas include:
- Nana, Bangkok. There are some pharmacies located along Sukhumvit Road between the ‘Nana’ BTS (Elevated train) station and the famous Nana Plaza that stock generic Modafinil.
- Patpong, Bangkok. This is a world-famous red-light district and some pharmacies in this area stock Modafinil.
- Pattaya, Rayong. Pattaya is a popular tourist town on Thailand’s Gulf Coast, famous for its adult establishments. Some pharmacies stock Modafinil, here.
Pharmacies in these areas are notorious for selling a variety of controlled medicines over the counter without a prescription. You can usually spot them as they typically display anabolic steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs in their display window. If you find a pharmacy selling steroids, you’ll likely find nootropics such as Modafinil for sale there as well.
However, we cannot suggest specific pharmacies as their offerings may change by the time you read this. Products, prices, and availability continually change. We cannot guarantee that you’ll be able to find Modafinil in any particular pharmacy. It’s a difficult drug to find in Thailand.
Is Modafinil in Thai pharmacies Legit?
It’s difficult to find a Thai pharmacy that sells Modafinil. But if you do find one, is it legit?
What you’ll typically encounter are generic brands of Modafinil from Indian manufacturers. These can be decent provided they are in date and have been stored correctly.
However, as Modafinil is an unlicensed drug, there is a possibility that you may be sold fake Modafinil — even in a pharmacy.
The sale of fake and counterfeit medicine is way more common than you’d think; after all, buying Modafinil isn’t above board, so if you’re sold bunk, you have no legal recourse.
As such, we’ve found it far easier and safer to buy Modafinil online instead. We either buy some before we travel to Thailand and carry it in our luggage or we order some online and have it shipped to our address while we’re in the country.
Where to Buy Modafinil Online in Thailand | 2020 Guide
The good news is getting Modafinil in Thailand isn’t too difficult these days.
Many online Modafinil pharmacies ship to Thailand and have excellent success rates. Thai customs simply don’t have the resources to screen every package for unregistered drugs – after all, Modafinil isn’t a narcotic.
Members of our team have successfully bought Modafinil from over a handful of great vendors over the years, and we’ve never had a shipment stopped. Ever. You can order from one of our recommended vendors and be sure of getting your hands on legit Modafinil in no time.
We know which companies have legit products, the fastest shipping times, and the best customer service.
So without further ado, here are the best sites to buy Modafinil from if you’re living in Thailand:
We’re huge fans of Buy Moda and recommend them to anyone and everyone living in Thailand. Seriously, these guys are amazing and won’t disappoint..
They offer benefits like:
- Some of the best customer service in the Modafinil industry
- Massive 20% Bitcoin discounts
- Guaranteed delivery
When you order from Buy Moda, you will get the generic Modafinil you paid for, or you’ll get a full refund or reshipment. Your choice.
Plus, the website is easy to use and the prices are low. Seriously! These guys offer some of the lowest prices in the Modafinil industry.
Most Modafinil orders from Buy Moda will arrive in 9-14 days – give or take. That’s fairly quick!
Overall, Buy Moda is a great Modafinil seller for anyone and everyone in Thailand. These guys are our top Modafinil pharmacy in Thailand for a reason…
Get 10% off all Buy Moda products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: BUYMODA#1
Another incredible Modafinil vendor for anyone living in Thailand is Modafinil XL.
These guys have been around forever, have a great reputation, and make buying Modafinil online ridiculously easy for anyone living in the land of smiles.
After placing an order from Modafinil XL, you can expect rapid shipping, guaranteed delivery, and high-quality generic Modafinil products, every time.
Usually, orders from Modafinil XL arrive to Thailand within 12-15 days — which is pretty fast.
You’re guaranteed to get your order or you will receive a full refund or a free reshipment. It’s your choice.
Lastly, Modafinil XL offers some of the absolute best discounts, including a huge 20% discount when you pay for your order with Bitcoin (BTC).
We’ve been exceptionally pleased with Modafinil orders from these guys over the years — and we’re confident you’ll be happy too!
Get 10% off all ModafinilXL products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: ENJOY10OFF
Brand Name Modafinil in Thailand
We’ve never seen brand-name Modafinil products for sale at any pharmacies in Thailand. Ever. You will NOT find products like Provigil, Alertec, or anything else you may be used back in your home country.
It’s just not going to happen.
So, many people living in Thailand turn to buy Modafinil online. Fortunately, you have a lot of great options when looking to buy smart drugs online in Thailand.
Some of the most popular generic Modafinil brands available online include:
Overall, we’ve found that Modalert offers the best bang for the buck. It’s virtually identical to brand-name Modafinil and gives great cognitive benefits and 12+ hours of concentration and focus.
However, Modvigil is the cheapest product and an ideal budget option.
If you’re unsure what product to get, we recommend starting with a sample pack – which features all four products. Try them all and see which one you prefer.
Other Nootropics in Thailand, Prescription-Free Alternatives
While we’re confident that you won’t have any issues getting your hands on Modafinil while in Thailand if you buy from one of our recommended vendors, we recognize that many people want other options.
That’s why we recommend a prescription-free Modafinil alternative for anyone living in or visiting Thailand.
The one over-the-counter nootropic that we’ve grown to love is:
Mind Lab Pro
Mind Lab Pro is our favorite natural nootropic, hands down. It offers Modafinil-like benefits such as increased motivation, better focus, and more energy, yet virtually zero side effects.
Think of Mind Lab Pro as Modafinil-lite. It offers solid cognitive enhancement, but for around 6 hours, compared with the 12+ you get from Modafinil.
But Mind Lab Pro offers one benefit you might not get with Modafinil. What’s that? A nice creative boost. This is the best nootropic for creatives we’ve ever tested.
Mind Lab Pro is ideal for “cycling” with Modafinil and taking on days when you don’t need to focus for 12+ hours. You can’t take Modafinil every day without building up a tolerance and having to increase your dose (which gives you more side effects).
On days when you aren’t taking Modafinil, Mind Lab Pro is ideal. It’s drug-free and is safe enough to take year-round and ensure that you get more stuff done.
Mind Lab Pro!
The Verdict? | Thailand Edition
That’s about it, ladies and gentlemen.
If you’re looking for info on how to buy Modafinil in Thailand, that’s pretty much everything you need to know.
Hopefully, this entertaining guide has covered all the legalities and the best online pharmacies you can use while living in or visiting the land of smiles.
- Giurgea C. Vers une pharmacologie de l’activité intégrative du cerveau. Tentative du concept nootrope en psychopharmacologie [Pharmacology of integrative activity of the brain. Attempt at nootropic concept in psychopharmacology]. Actual Pharmacol (Paris). 1972;25:115-56. French. PMID: 4541214.
- Baranski JV, Pigeau R, Dinich P, Jacobs I. Effects of modafinil on cognitive and meta-cognitive performance. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2004 Jul;19(5):323-32. doi: 10.1002/hup.596. PMID: 15252824.
- Modafinil Oral: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-16962/modafinil-oral/details
- Ballon JS, Feifel D. A systematic review of modafinil: Potential clinical uses and mechanisms of action. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006;67(4):554‐566. doi:10.4088/jcp.v67n0406
- Modafinil: Indications, Side Effects, Warnings. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.drugs.com/cdi/modafinil.html
- (2019, August 18). Retrieved from https://www.drugs.com/cdi/modafinil.html
- Biederman J, Swanson JM, Wigal SB, Boellner SW, Earl CQ, Lopez FA; Modafinil ADHD Study Group. A comparison of once-daily and divided doses of modafinil in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006 May;67(5):727-35. doi: 10.4088/jcp.v67n0506. PMID: 16841622.
- Dackis CA, Kampman KM, Lynch KG, Pettinati HM, O’Brien CP. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of modafinil for cocaine dependence. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005 Jan;30(1):205-11. doi: 10.1038/sj.npp.1300600. PMID: 15525998.
- Modafinil Side Effects by Likelihood and Severity (n.d.) Retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-16962/modafinil-oral/details/list-sideeffects
- Ishizuka T, Sakamoto Y, Sakurai T, Yamatodani A. Modafinil increases histamine release in the anterior hypothalamus of rats. Neurosci Lett. 2003;339(2):143-146. doi:10.1016/s0304-3940(03)00006-5
- Brown RE, Stevens DR, Haas HL. The physiology of brain histamine. Prog Neurobiol. 2001;63(6):637-672. doi:10.1016/s0301-0082(00)00039-3
- Zolkowska D, Jain R, Rothman RB, Partilla JS, Roth BL, Setola V, Prisinzano TE, Baumann MH. Evidence for the involvement of dopamine transporters in behavioral stimulant effects of modafinil. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2009 May;329(2):738-46. doi: 10.1124/jpet.108.146142. Epub 2009 Feb 5. PMID: 19197004; PMCID: PMC2672878.
- Minzenberg MJ, Carter CS. Modafinil: a review of neurochemical actions and effects on cognition. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008 Jun;33(7):1477-502. doi: 10.1038/sj.npp.1301534. Epub 2007 Aug 22. PMID: 17712350.
- Volkow N, Li TK. The neuroscience of addiction. Nat Neurosci. 2005 Nov;8(11):1429-30. doi: 10.1038/nn1105-1429. PMID: 16251981.
- Krishnan, R., & Chary, K. V. (2015). A rare case modafinil dependence. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4319252/
- Lopes E, Pereira D, da Silva Behrens NS, de Almeida Fonseca H, Calvancanti PO, de Araújo Lima TF, Pradella-Hallinan M, Castro J, Tufik S, Coelho FM. Cataplexy as a side effect of modafinil in a patient without narcolepsy. Sleep Sci. 2014 Mar;7(1):47-9. doi:
- gc.ca. 2020. ALERTEC (Modafinil) And The Risk Of Congenital Anomalies – Recalls And Safety Alerts. [online] Available at: <https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2019/70201a-eng.php#:~:text=ALERTEC%20(modafinil%20100%20mg%20tablets,a%20circadian%20rhythm%20sleep%20disorder).> [Accessed 3 October 2020].
- Criminal Drug Offences in Thailand. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.siam-legal.com/litigation/criminal-defence-drug-offences-in-thailand.php
- Drug Control Division – Food and Drug Administration (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.fda.moph.go.th/sites/Narcotics/En/Pages/Main.aspx