Are you curious about how to buy Modafinil in the UK these days?
Then you've found just the right guide.
But before we dig too deep, here's the TL;DR…
But there's a little bit more to it than simply ordering from our top-recommended Modafinil vendor, Buy Moda.
That’s why in this comprehensive guide, we’ll explain everything you need to know about getting the world's most popular smart drug while living in the United Kingdom. From prescriptions to prices, legal considerations, and shipping times, we’ll cover it all!
What is Modafinil?
Now, you may only want to know where you can buy Modafinil online in the UK — and that's perfectly fine.
But you may want a little more information about what Modafinil is, and why so many successful individuals use this smart drug. As the world's most popular nootropic, Modafinil has gained notoriety for one simple reason:
Modafinil just works.
There are several reasons why Modafinil is the premier cognitive enhancer in the UK right now .
For the vast majority of users, a single 200mg tablet offers the following benefits:
- ‘Laser-like’ focus for 12+ hours
- Increased productivity
- Improved cognition
- Enhanced memory retention
- Inability to feel fatigued
- …And much more!
So, how did this so-called miracle drug come into existence?
Modafinil was discovered in 1974 by two scientists working for the French drug company L. Lafon Ltd. Clinical trials revealed that it acts as a powerful ‘wakefulness-promoting’ drug (or ‘eugeroic’).
It entered the French market under the brand name ‘Modiodal'  in 1994 and soon gained a reputation for being a safe and effective way of treating adults who suffer narcolepsy . Over time, doctors began prescribing it for other sleep-related ailments like sleep apnea and shift work disorder.
Modafinil was launched under the brand-name ‘Provigil' in the UK in March 1998 and soon became a popular narcolepsy treatment here too. However, Provigil's potential “off label” benefits drew widespread attention after numerous scientific studies showed it to act as a powerful cognitive enhancer . In clinical settings, Provigil has been shown to work wonders for everything from schizophrenia , to ADHD , and even cocaine addiction .
During the early 2000s, ‘off prescription’ (self-administered) Modafinil use became widespread among students, entrepreneurs, and CEOs who were looking to gain a competitive edge. Modafinil quickly became the UK’s most widely used ‘smart’ drug, or nootropic  — a position it has maintained to this day.
When taken ‘off prescription’ by people without narcolepsy, Modafinil acts as an extremely strong stimulant. It dramatically ramps up levels of dopamine and histamine , which gives users a sense of extreme mental clarity and concentration .
The excess dopamine is responsible for most of Modafinil's cognitive benefits — like improved memory and critical thinking skills . Dopamine is a proven mood-enhancer and gives just about anyone the opportunity to get more stuff done without getting distracted .
There's little wonder why Modafinil is the UK’s most popular nootropic right now.
Modafinil Side Effects and Safety
So what side effects can you expect if you take Modafinil? What do you need to know about safely using Modafinil as a nootropic?
Modafinil has a strong safety profile. It produces relatively few side effects when taken under a doctor’s supervision at the recommended dose of 100-200mg per day . But it is a potent prescription medication and all users must take it responsibly. It's certainly not an everyday drug; we personally don’t take it any more than twice a week.
According to official recommendations, you should not take Modafinil if you:
- Are pregnant .
- Suffer from anxiety or depression.
- Are currently on prescription medication that may interact with Modafinil.
Provided you're not on that list, what should you be aware about?
Our personal safety concern with Modafinil is that there hasn’t been much research into its ‘off prescription’ use as a “smart drug” or “study drug.” But one of the best studies to date looked at the side effects caused by a 200mg dose of Modafinil in people who didn't have narcolepsy . This study's findings do not substitute doctor’s advice, but are helpful for anyone who is thinking about taking Modafinil ‘off prescription.'
The most common side effects were a dry mouth, diarrhea, headaches, and mild nausea. Luckily, these side effects were extremely mild and temporary, so most users likely don’t have much to worry about when taking 200mg or less of Modafinil.
That being said, all individuals will respond to Modafinil differently, depending on a range of factors including their health, medical history, genetics, and whether they are taking any other prescription drugs.
For example, one person may experience a headache after taking 100mg of Modafinil while another individual may tolerate a 200mg dose without experiencing any side effects.
Therefore, it's important for all users to monitor their body and assess how they feel while taking Modafinil.
When taken at very high doses, Modafinil can produce some rare side effects such as vertigo, dizziness, and hallucinations. If you experience these side effects, you must stop using Modafinil and seek medical attention immediately .
But at doses of 100-200mg, both clinical studies and anecdotal experience have shown that most people tolerate Modafinil very well.
Is Modafinil Legal in the UK?
As the web's #1 Modafinil resource, we’ve amassed a wealth of information on all topics Modafinil-related. That includes information on the legalities of Modafinil in the UK, which we hope will be a useful starting point for further research.
So, is it legal to buy Provigil in the United Kingdom? Of course — provided you’re doing so by the book.
After all, Modafinil is regulated as a prescription-only medication by the UK government.
Let’s break it down:
- Modafinil, whether generic or Provigil, is a prescription-only medication (POM) in the UK .
- You’re authorized to purchasedModafinil from a pharmacy in the United Kingdom if you hold a prescription from a British doctor .
- If you hold a prescription for Modafinil that was issued in the European Economic Area or in Switzerland, a pharmacist in the UK will exercise his or her professional discretion in deciding whether or not to honor it.
On the prescribing side, British GPs are only likely to prescribe Modafinil to patients upon a diagnosis of narcolepsy, sleep apnea, or shift work disorder.
You cannot be prescribed Modafinil for its ‘off prescription’ (nootropic) benefits, or buy it over-the-counter (OTC) from a pharmacy in the United Kingdom without a prescription.
However, what about ordering online? Are there legal issues to worry about when buying Modafinil online and having it shipped to the United Kingdom?
Based exclusively on our experience, NO…
And our UK team members will continue with this route.
- Possession of a POM is only illegal in the United Kingdom if the pharmaceutical drug is controlled by the UK Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 . Currently, Modafinil is not on this list — nor have we ever seen a proposal for its inclusion. As such, possession of Modafinil is not considered a punishable offense.
- Moreover, Modafinil is not listed in the Psychoactive Substances Act 2016 .
So because Modafinil is not listed in either the Misuse of Drugs Act or the Psychoactive Substances Act, it appears that it’s 100% legal to possess this drug for personal use — even if you don't have a prescription for it.
But here’s where you should pay attention.
Under The Medicines Act 1968, it is an offense to sell Modafinil to anyone in the UK, unless you have a license to do so. In other words, you certainly shouldn’t buy some for a friend or order in bulk for purposes of reselling. That’s illegal.
Given these considerations, it doesn’t shock us that we haven’t read a single report of anyone in the UK facing legal action for ordering a reasonable amount of Modafinil for personal use. We’re talking enough to last you around three months. For most people, this means fewer than 100 tablets.
Just to repeat: those who have ordered this quantity (or less) of Modafinil have had no problems receiving their orders, especially when ordering from one of our recommended vendors.
Let’s say, in the off-chance import controls “catch” your smart drugs in-transit.. What’s likely to be the worst-case scenario? Your package gets confiscated by import controls and customs destroys it. But even if that does happen, any reliable online Modafinil pharmacy would issue you a refund or a free reshipment. Your choice.
No harm. No foul.
So, is Modafinil legal in the UK?
Our understanding is that it’s 100% legal to possess but 100% illegal to resell (unless you’re a licensed pharmacist). .
In other words, we do not see any practical risk of ordering online. But again, we’re only speaking from our experience and this isn’t legal advice. We encourage you to do your due diligence and always abide by UK laws.
How to Get a Modafinil Prescription in the UK
While Modafinil laws in the UK don't seem to be an issue for the vast majority of individuals, some people might be interested in how to get a Modafinil prescription here.
It can be difficult to get a Modafinil prescription in the UK.
This is for one reason and one reason only…
Modafinil in the UK is only approved to relieve or treat ailments like narcolepsy and excessive daytime sleepiness due to sleep apnea or shift work disorder. Thus, GPs are not likely to prescribe Modafinil for ‘off-label' uses, including for use as a smart drug or nootropic.
In the UK, doctors potentially open themselves up to liability and greater legal risk when prescribing a medicine for its ‘off-label’ benefits: ’:
The responsibility that falls on healthcare professionals when prescribing an unlicensed medicine or a medicine off-label may be greater than when prescribing a licensed medicine within the terms of its licence. Prescribers should pay particular attention to the risks associated with using unlicensed medicines or using a licensed medicine off-label.
Put another way, a British doctor is far less likely to be legally protected if they prescribe a drug off-label that subsequently causes a patient to suffer from a health problem, than if that prescription had been for an approved use. So if you show up to your doctor’s office asking the doctor about Provigil for cognitive enhancement, don’t be surprised if you’re politely turned away.
Therefore, to get a Modafinil prescription in the UK, you'll generally have to prove that you have narcolepsy or excessive daytime sleepiness due to sleep apnea or shift sleep disorder.
That's pretty much the only sure way you’re getting a prescription For that reason, many of our UK readers have found buying Modafinil online far easier while living in the United Kingdom.
Which is what we'll discuss below…
Where to Buy Modafinil Online in the UK | 2022 Guide
If you're looking to buy Modafinil in the United Kingdom, you're in the right spot. Below you'll find the two best online Modafinil vendors that ship to the UK.
After working with over a half dozen pharmacies over the years, we've found the two vendors below to be the absolute best.
They both offer:
- Fast shipping to the UK
- Legitimate generic Modafinil products
- Guaranteed deliveries
- Great Prices
- Amazing Bitcoin discounts
- Return customer coupons
- …And more!
Without further ado, let's get into things and see where you can buy Modafinil online in the UK.
Here are our favorite sellers:
At the time of writing, Buy Moda is the premier Modafinil vendor in the entire world. Bar none. These guys are the best. If you're set on buying Modafinil in the United Kingdom, we'd recommend taking a look at these guys.
Their customer service is impeccable, the pricing is low, and their Bitcoin discount is solid.
We’re talking a 20% BTC discount on top of their already LOW, LOW prices. Some of the lowest in the industry. Plus, Modafinil orders in the UK from Buy Moda will arrive within 6-10 days, with most orders arriving within a week. That's pretty quick shipping!
And the most important part:
Buy Moda offers guaranteed delivery. You either get your order, or they'll give you a free reshipment. If the second shipment doesn't arrive, they'll give you a 100% refund. It's your choice. Essentially, a stress-free experience.
But also do know…the customer service from Buy Moda is truly second to none. All of its customer service staff are passionate about Modafinil and are native English speakers. You'll be speaking with professional, reliable staff who can answer your questions directly. We've yet to find a Modafinil vendor that takes care of their customers in the way Buy Moda does. You'll be in great hands when ordering here.
Overall, a great option for those in the UK. Oh, and one more thing…
When you spend over $100 on any order with the world's best Modafinil vendor, Buy Moda will send you 30 free pills with the order!
Get 15% off all Buy Moda products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: BUYMODA#1
If you're buying Modafinil in the UK, the second vendor we recommend checking out is Modafinil XL.
These guys offer great customer service, low prices, legit products, and some of the best discounts in the industry.
- FREE sample packs of 10 Modafinil or Armodafinil tablets (you just pay $29 for shipping).
- 50% discounts on 200+ pill combo packs.
- FREE standard shipping (10-15 business days) on all orders over $80.
- FREE express shipping (7-12 business days) on all orders over $150.
- 20% off if you pay with Bitcoin (BTC).
- GUARANTEED delivery!
But don’t just take our word for it…
To date, ModafinilXL has served almost 700,000 customers worldwide and has thousands of trusted reviews on Google, TrustPilot, Yotpo, and Reddit.
If you’re worried about ordering Modafinil online in the UK, ModafinilXL is perfect.
They now offer Royal Mail UK domestic shipping and post Modafinil direct from their UK warehouse. For just $39 plus 35%, you’ll get your order within 2-5 business days and will have ZERO delivery risk to your UK residence. Guaranteed!
Yes, this is a pricey option, but it's hands down the surest, fastest way of getting your hands on Modafinil in the UK right now.
Get 10% off all ModafinilXL products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: ENJOY10OFF
Shipping Modafinil | United Kingdom Edition
If you're worried about getting your Modafinil shipped to the UK, you needn't be!
Because both of the online Modafinil vendors we recommend offer guaranteed delivery to the UK. Every. Single. Time.
Based on our UK readers’ experience, the UK Border Force rapidly clears the vast majority of h generic Modafinil shipments from other parts of the world…mainly Singapore and India (where the medicine is manufactured).
No surprise, then, that our favorite vendors guarantee their delivery to the UK. This means they'll refund your full order if the package is indefinitely held up at customs.
The vendors simply wouldn’t profit if a lot of packages were being confiscated by customs officials. Furthermore, we’ve gone over the legal considerations for individuals ordering Modafinil online in the UK.
As previously discussed, Modafinil is not controlled by the Misuse of Drugs Act or Psychoactive Substances Act and possessing Modafinil for personal use is not a crime in the United Kingdom.
Our UK readers have reported absolutely no issues buying Modafinil online in the UK and having it posted to their home, with the caveat that they never order a quantity that would be deemed unreasonable or for commercial purposes.
Again, it appears that the worst case scenario is customs confiscates the smart drugs and you get a refund or free reshipment from the seller.
So getting Modafinil posted to the UK shouldn't be a concern whatsoever. You're all set!
Generic Modafinil and Armodafinil in the UK
You can buy Modafinil from a pharmacy in the UK if you have been diagnosed with narcolepsy and have a valid prescription from a GP. Once you have that prescription, you just go to any pharmacy in the UK and pick up some Provigil, which is the officially registered brand-name for Modafinil in the country.
You may also be prescribed ‘Nuvigil’ which is the brand-name for Armodafinil, a newer, more powerful version of Modafinil.
But when you shop for Modafinil online, you won’t see Provigil or Nuvigil for sale. Instead, you’ll find generic Modafinil and Armodafinil products like:
Each one of these products promises solid cognitive benefits. However, after testing all of these products, we do have a few recommendations for our British readers and those living in the country.
In our view, Modalert is probably the strongest generic Modafinil product you’ll find in the U.K. It is definitively our go-to. Modvigil, on the other hand, is a cheap alternative for generic Modafinil.
Searching for Modafinil’s little cousin Armodafinil in the UK? Then we prefer Waklert. That being said, Artvigil is a cheaper form of generic Armodafinil.
Other Nootropics in the UK
For those curious about other nootropic options and potential Modafinil alternatives, below you'll find a few more suggestions.
But please understand…
Modafinil is the ‘King’ of smart drugs. Armodafinil in the UK would then be the ‘Queen’ here. Still, there are a few other nootropics we love for UK residents. Here are a few of our favorites:
Mind Lab Pro
After testing dozens upon dozens of smart drugs over the years, we were more than IMPRESSED by Mind Lab Pro. The potent natural nootropic offers Modafinil-like cognitive enhancement — without the need for a prescription.
It was baffling how great the stuff works. We could go into detail about the 11+ clinically-researched brain-boosting ingredients, but it's easier to simply tell you this is our favorite nootropic that's available over-the-counter in the UK.
You can expect immense cognitive benefits and intense focus with Mind Lab Pro for 6-8+ hours, along with a unique creative cognitive boost that we've found to be exceptionally beneficial.
Mind Lab Pro!
The Verdict? | United Kingdom Edition
If you were curious about Modafinil in the UK, that about wraps it up.
Everything you need to know about how to buy Modafinil in the UK.
The details you need to get the good stuff. The legalities. And how to get your hands on the world's most popular smart drugs — at the best prices!
MW;, Kredlow MA;Keshishian A;Oppenheimer S;Otto. “The Efficacy of Modafinil as a Cognitive Enhancer: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.” Journal of clinical psychopharmacology. U.S. National Library of Medicine. Accessed February 13, 2021. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31433334/.
Modafinil Oral: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-16962/modafinil-oral/details
- Ballon JS, Feifel D. A systematic review of modafinil: Potential clinical uses and mechanisms of action. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006;67(4):554‐566. doi:10.4088/jcp.v67n0406
- Baranski JV, Pigeau R, Dinich P, Jacobs I. Effects of modafinil on cognitive and meta-cognitive performance. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2004 Jul;19(5):323-32. doi: 10.1002/hup.596. PMID: 15252824.
- Modafinil. (2019, August 18). Retrieved from https://www.drugs.com/cdi/modafinil.html
- Giurgea C. Vers une pharmacologie de l'activité intégrative du cerveau. Tentative du concept nootrope en psychopharmacologie [Pharmacology of integrative activity of the brain. Attempt at nootropic concept in psychopharmacology]. Actual Pharmacol (Paris). 1972;25:115-56. French. PMID: 4541214.
- Biederman J, Swanson JM, Wigal SB, Boellner SW, Earl CQ, Lopez FA; Modafinil ADHD Study Group. A comparison of once-daily and divided doses of modafinil in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006 May;67(5):727-35. doi: 10.4088/jcp.v67n0506. PMID: 16841622.
- Dackis CA, Kampman KM, Lynch KG, Pettinati HM, O'Brien CP. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of modafinil for cocaine dependence. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005 Jan;30(1):205-11. doi: 10.1038/sj.npp.1300600. PMID: 15525998.
- Ishizuka T, Sakamoto Y, Sakurai T, Yamatodani A. Modafinil increases histamine release in the anterior hypothalamus of rats. Neurosci Lett. 2003;339(2):143-146. doi:10.1016/s0304-3940(03)00006-5
- Brown RE, Stevens DR, Haas HL. The physiology of brain histamine. Prog Neurobiol. 2001;63(6):637-672. doi:10.1016/s0301-0082(00)00039-3
- Zolkowska D, Jain R, Rothman RB, Partilla JS, Roth BL, Setola V, Prisinzano TE, Baumann MH. Evidence for the involvement of dopamine transporters in behavioral stimulant effects of modafinil. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2009 May;329(2):738-46. doi: 10.1124/jpet.108.146142. Epub 2009 Feb 5. PMID: 19197004; PMCID: PMC2672878.
- Minzenberg MJ, Carter CS. Modafinil: a review of neurochemical actions and effects on cognition. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008 Jun;33(7):1477-502. doi: 10.1038/sj.npp.1301534. Epub 2007 Aug 22. PMID: 17712350.
- modafinil – Drug Summary. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/Provigil-modafinil-2332
- Healthycanadians.gc.ca. 2020. ALERTEC (Modafinil) And The Risk Of Congenital Anomalies – Recalls And Safety Alerts. [online] Available at: <https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2019/70201a-eng.php#:~:text=ALERTEC%20(modafinil%20100%20mg%20tablets,a%20circadian%20rhythm%20sleep%20disorder).> [Accessed 3 October 2020].
- Lopes E, Pereira D, da Silva Behrens NS, de Almeida Fonseca H, Calvancanti PO, de Araújo Lima TF, Pradella-Hallinan M, Castro J, Tufik S, Coelho FM. Cataplexy as a side effect of modafinil in a patient without narcolepsy. Sleep Sci. 2014 Mar;7(1):47-9. doi:
- Apo-Modafinil. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.rexall.ca/articles/view/2663/Apo-Modafinil
- Medicines: reclassify your product. (2019, October 3). Retrieved from https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medicines-reclassify-your-product
- Find product information about medicines. (2019, December 19). Retrieved from http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/par/documents/websiteresources/con273748.pdf
- Misuse of Drugs Act 1971. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/38/contents
- Legislation.gov.uk. 2020. Psychoactive Substances Act 2016. [online] Available at: <https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2016/2/contents/enacted> [Accessed 4 October 2020].
- Off-label or unlicensed use of medicines: prescribers' responsibilities. (2014, December 11). Retrieved from https://www.gov.uk/drug-safety-update/off-label-or-unlicensed-use-of-medicines-prescribers-responsibilities