Are you curious about how to buy Modafinil in the UK these days?
Then you’ve found just the right guide.
But before we dig too deep, here’s the TL;DR…
Get 10% off all Buy Moda products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: BUYMODA#1
But there’s a little bit more to it than simply ordering from our top-recommended Modafinil vendor, Buy Moda.
That’s why in this comprehensive guide, we’ll explain everything you need to know about getting the world’s most popular smart drug while living in the United Kingdom. From prescriptions to prices, legalities, and shipping times, we’ll cover it all!
This is not legal or medical advice. This article was strictly created for your entertainment. Please consult with your primary care physician or a medical professional with close working knowledge of your health -- before consuming pharmaceutical drugs or nootropics, like Modafinil. Please read my disclaimer.
What is Modafinil?
Now, you may only want to know where you can buy Modafinil online in the UK — and that’s perfectly fine.
But you may want a little more information about what Modafinil is, and why so many successful individuals use this smart drug. As the world’s most popular nootropic, Modafinil has gained notoriety for one simple reason:
Modafinil just works.
There are several reasons why Modafinil is the premier cognitive enhancer in the UK right now.
A single 200mg tablet offers the following benefits:
- ‘Laser-like’ focus for 12+ hours
- Increased productivity
- Improved cognition
- Enhanced memory retention
- Inability to feel fatigued
- …And much more!
So, how did this miracle drug come into existence?
Modafinil was discovered in 1974 by two scientists working for the French drug company L. Lafon Ltd and was found to act as a powerful ‘wakefulness-promoting’ drug (or ‘eugeroic’).
It entered the French market under the brand name Provigil  in 1992 and soon gained a reputation for being a safe and effective way of treating adults who suffer narcolepsy . Over time, doctors began prescribing it for other sleep-related ailments like sleep apnea and Shift Work Disorder.
Provigil was launched in the United Kingdom in March 1998 and soon became a popular narcolepsy treatment here too. However, its ‘off label’ benefits drew widespread attention after numerous scientific studies showed it acted as a powerful cognitive enhancer . Provigil was shown to work wonders for everything from schizophrenia , to ADHD , and even cocaine addiction .
During the early 2000s, ‘off prescription’ (self-administered) Modafinil use became widespread among students, entrepreneurs, and CEOs who were looking to gain a competitive edge. Modafinil quickly became the UK’s most widely used ‘smart’ drug, or nootropic  — a position it has maintained to this day.
When taken ‘off prescription’ by people without narcolepsy, Modafinil acts as an extremely strong stimulant. It dramatically ramps up levels of dopamine and histamine , which gives users a sense of extreme mental clarity and concentration .
The extra dopamine is responsible for most of Modafinil’s cognitive benefits – like improved memory and critical thinking skills . Dopamine is a proven mood-enhancer and lets anyone get more stuff done without being distracted .
There’s little wonder why Modafinil is the UK’s most popular nootropic right now.
Modafinil Side Effects and Safety
So what side effects can you expect if you take Modafinil without a prescription? What do you need to know about safely using Modafinil as a nootropic?
Modafinil is awesome. It produces relatively few side effects when taken under a doctor’s supervision at the recommended dose of 100-200mg per day . But it is a potent prescription medication and you must use it responsibly. It’s not an everyday drug; we suggest you take it no more than twice a week.
You should not take Modafinil if you:
- Are pregnant .
- Suffer from anxiety or depression.
- Are currently on prescription medication that may interact with Modafinil.
Provided you’re not on that list, what should you be aware about?
The main safety concern with Modafinil is that there hasn’t been much research into its ‘off prescription’ use as a “smart drug” or “study drug”. One of the best studies to date looked at the side effects caused by a 200mg dose of Modafinil in people who didn’t have narcolepsy . This study’s findings are helpful for anyone who is thinking about taking Modafinil ‘off prescription’.
The most common side effects were a dry mouth, diarrhea, headaches, and mild nausea. Luckily, these side effects were extremely mild and temporary, so you don’t have much to worry about when you take 200mg or less of Modafinil.
That being said, all individuals will respond to Modafinil differently, depending on a range of factors including their health, medical history, genetics, and whether they are taking any other prescription drugs.
For example, one person may experience a headache after taking 100mg of Modafinil while another person may tolerate a 200mg dose without experiencing any side effects.
Therefore, it’s important for you to monitor your body and assess how you feel while you’re taking Modafinil.
When taken at very high doses, Modafinil can produce some rare side effects such as vertigo, dizziness, and hallucinations. If you experience these side effects, you must stop using Modafinil and seek medical attention immediately .
But at doses of 100-200mg, most people tolerate Modafinil very well. But again, we aren’t doctors and this isn’t medical advice.
Is Modafinil Legal in the UK?
Before we dive in, we’d like to point out that we are lawyers and this isn’t legal advice, so this section about Modafinil in the UK and its legal status should be taken as hyperbole. Nothing less. Nothing more.
So, is it legal to buy Provigil in the United Kingdom? Well, yes and no.
Modafinil is fully regulated as a prescription-only medication by the UK government. But it falls into a bit of a legal “grey area”.
Let’s break it down:
- Modafinil, whether generic or Provigil, is a prescription-only medication (POM) in the UK .
- You can only legally obtain Modafinil from a pharmacy in the United Kingdom if you have a prescription from a British doctor .
British GPs will only prescribe Modafinil to patients who have been diagnosed with narcolepsy, sleep apnea, or Shift Work Disorder. You cannot be prescribed Modafinil for its ‘off prescription’ (nootropic) benefits, or buy it over-the-counter (OTC) from a pharmacy in the United Kingdom without a prescription.
However, what about ordering online? Are there legal issues to worry about when buying Modafinil online and shipping it to the United Kingdom?
Well, we don’t believe so.
- Possession of a POM is only illegal in the United Kingdom if the pharmaceutical drug is the on UK Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 . Currently, Modafinil is not on this list. As such, possession of Modafinil is not considered a punishable offense.
- Modafinil is not listed on the Psychoactive Substances Act 2016 .
As Modafinil is not listed on the Misuse of Drugs Act or the Psychoactive Substances Act, it is 100% legal to possess this drug for personal use – even if you don’t have a prescription.
But here’s where things get murky.
It is an offense to sell Modafinil to someone without a prescription in the UK. In other words, you can’t buy some ‘for a friend’, or order in bulk and sell some on. That’s illegal.
In practical terms, this means that you can order an amount of Modafinil for personal use. Enough to last you around three months. For most people, this means fewer than 100 tablets.
If you order this quantity (or less) of Modafinil, you’ll have no problems receiving your order, especially if you order from one of our recommended vendors. They split large orders into several smaller packages and ship them separately to avoid issues at customs.
Even if import controls “catch” your smart drugs in-transit, there are no legal repercussions you need to worry about. The worst that happens? Your package gets confiscated by import controls and customs destroys it. If that happens, your online Modafinil pharmacy will issue you a refund or a free reshipment. Your choice.
No harm. No foul.
So, is Modafinil legal in the UK?
In our opinion, Modafinil is legal for personal use but it is illegal to sell Modafinil to someone without a prescription.
In other words, it’s legal enough to order online without having to worry. But again, we aren’t lawyers and this isn’t legal advice so you’ll have to exercise your own judgment. We encourage you to do due diligence and always abide by UK laws.
How to Get a Modafinil Prescription in the UK
While Modafinil laws in the UK don’t seem to be an issue for the vast majority of individuals, some people might be interested in how to get a Modafinil prescription here.
It can be difficult to get a Modafinil prescription in the UK.
This is for one reason and one reason only…
Modafinil can only be prescribed in the UK for ailments like narcolepsy and excessive daytime sleepiness due to sleep apnea or shift work disorder. For ‘off-label’ uses, such as taking Modafinil as a smart drug or nootropic, GPs will not prescribe it.
Under UK law, doctors put themselves at significant risk when prescribing a medicine for its ‘off-label’ benefits. British doctors are faced with far greater legal risks when prescribing medications ‘off-label’ due to laws and legislation :
The responsibility that falls on healthcare professionals when prescribing an unlicensed medicine or a medicine off-label may be greater than when prescribing a licensed medicine within the terms of its licence. Prescribers should pay particular attention to the risks associated with using unlicensed medicines or using a licensed medicine off-label.
Put another way, a British doctor could get into legal trouble if they prescribe a drug off-label that subsequently causes a patient to suffer from a health problem. Most doctors simply aren’t willing to take this risk if you make an appointment to ask about Provigil for cognitive enhancement.
Therefore, to get a Modafinil prescription in the UK, you’ll have to prove that you have narcolepsy or excessive daytime sleepiness due to sleep apnea or shift sleep disorder.
That’s the only way to do it. As such, many have found buying Modafinil online far easier while living in the United Kingdom.
Which is what we’ll discuss below…
Where to Buy Modafinil Online in the UK | 2020 Guide
If you’re looking to buy Modafinil in the United Kingdom, you’re in the right spot. Below you’ll find the two best online Modafinil vendors that ship to the UK.
After working with over a half dozen pharmacies over the years, we’ve found the two vendors below to be the absolute best.
They both offer:
- Fast shipping to the UK
- Legitimate generic Modafinil products
- Guaranteed deliveries
- Great Prices
- Amazing Bitcoin discounts
- Return customer coupons
- …And more!
But enough with the ado, let’s get into things and see where you can buy Modafinil online in the UK.
Here are our favorite sellers:
At the time of writing, Buy Moda is the premier Modafinil vendor in the entire world. Bar none. These guys are the best. If you’re buying Modafinil in the United Kingdom, we’d recommend taking a look at these guys.
Their customer service is impeccable, the pricing is low, and their Bitcoin discount is solid.
We’re talking a 20% BTC discount on top of their already LOW, LOW prices. Some of the lowest in the industry. Plus, Modafinil orders in the UK from Buy Moda will arrive within 6-10 days, with most orders arriving within a week. That’s pretty quick shipping!
And the most important part:
Buy Moda offers guaranteed delivery. You either get your order, or they’ll give you a free reshipment. If the second shipment doesn’t arrive, they’ll give you a 100% refund. It’s your choice. Essentially, you have no worries here.
But do know…the customer service from Buy Moda is truly second to none. It’s run by an American and all the customer service staff are American. If you have a question or concern, you won’t find yourself dialing an Indian call center. Instead, you’ll be speaking with professional, reliable staff who can answer your questions directly. We’ve yet to find a Modafinil vendor that takes care of their customers in the way Buy Moda does. You’ll be in great hands when ordering here.
Overall, a great option for those in the UK. Oh, and one more thing…
When you spend over $100 on any order with the world’s best Modafinil vendor, Buy Moda will send you 30 free pills with the order!
Get 10% off all Buy Moda products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: BUYMODA#1
If you’re buying Modafinil in the UK, the second vendor we recommend checking out is Modafinil XL.
These guys offer great customer service, low prices, legit products, and some of the best discounts in the industry.
- FREE sample packs of 10 Modafinil or Armodafinil tablets (you just pay $29 for shipping).
- 50% discounts on 200+ pill combo packs.
- FREE standard shipping (10-15 business days) on all orders over $80.
- FREE express shipping (7-12 business days) on all orders over $150.
- 20% off if you pay with Bitcoin (BTC).
- GUARANTEED delivery!
But don’t just take our word for it…
To date, ModafinilXL has served almost 700,000 customers worldwide and has thousands of trusted reviews on Google, TrustPilot, Yotpo, and Reddit.
If you’re worried about ordering Modafinil online in the UK, ModafinilXL is perfect.
They now offer Royal Mail UK domestic shipping and post Modafinil direct from their UK warehouse. For just $39 plus 35%, you’ll get your order within 2-5 business days and will have ZERO hassles with UK customs. Guaranteed!
Yes, this is a pricey option, but it’s hands down the safest, fastest way of getting your hands on Modafinil in the UK right now.
Get 10% off all ModafinilXL products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: ENJOY10OFF
Shipping Modafinil | United Kingdom Edition
If you’re worried about shipping Modafinil to the UK, you needn’t be!
Because both of the Modafinil retailers we recommend offer guaranteed delivery to the UK. Every. Single. Time.
This leads us to believe that customs and border security in the United Kingdom are simply not concerned with generic Modafinil being shipped to the country from other parts of the world…mainly Singapore and India (where the medicine is manufactured).
Why? Because these vendors guarantee their delivery to the UK. This means they’ll refund your full order if the package somehow gets taken by customs.
This wouldn’t be profitable if a lot of packages were being taken by the government and customs officials. Furthermore, there’s no legal risk to you as an individual ordering Modafinil online in the UK.
As previously discussed, Modafinil is not on the Misuse of Drugs Act, and possessing Modafinil for personal use is not a crime in the United Kingdom.
It is only an offense to sell Modafinil to someone without a prescription in the UK.
This means you are not committing a crime buying Modafinil online in the UK and having it posted to your home, provided you order an amount that would reasonably last you three months.
The worst-case scenario is customs confiscates the smart drugs and you get a refund or free reshipment from the seller.
So getting Modafinil posted to the UK shouldn’t be a concern whatsoever. You’re all set!
Generic Modafinil and Armodafinil in the UK
You can buy Modafinil and Armodafinil from a pharmacy in the U.K. if you get a prescription from a doctor in the country – although that can be harder said than done. Once you have that prescription, you just go to the pharmacy in the U.K. and pick up brand name Modafinil like:
You can find these brand name Modafinil products in UK pharmacies, although we’ve found Provigil to be far more common.
For Brits and people in the UK looking to order Modafinil online, the most popular generic Modafinil and Armodafinil products are:
Each one of these products does a damn good job and offers solid cognitive benefits. However, after testing all of these products, we do have a few recommendations for our British readers and those living in the country.
Modalert is probably the strongest generic Modafinil product you’ll find in the U.K. We can’t recommend it highly enough. Modvigil, on the other hand, is a cheap alternative for individuals looking for generic Modafinil.
Searching for Modafinil’s little cousin Armodafinil in the UK? Then we prefer Waklert. That being said, Artvigil is a cheaper form of generic Armodafinil.
Other Nootropics in the UK
For those curious about other nootropic options and potential Modafinil alternatives, below you’ll find a few more suggestions.
But please understand…
Modafinil is the ‘King’ of smart drugs. Armodafinil in the UK would then be the ‘Queen’ here. Still, there are a few other nootropics we love for UK residents. Here are a few of our favorites:
Mind Lab Pro
After testing dozens upon dozens of smart drugs over the years, we were more than IMPRESSED by Mind Lab Pro. The potent natural nootropic offers Modafinil-like cognitive enhancement – without the need for a prescription.
It was baffling how great the stuff works. We could go into detail about the 11+ clinically-researched brain-boosting ingredients, but it’s easier to simply tell you this is our favorite nootropic that’s available over-the-counter in the UK.
You’ll find immense cognitive benefits and intense focus with Mind Lab Pro for 6-8+ hours, along with a unique creative cognitive boost that we’ve found to be exceptionally beneficial.
Mind Lab Pro!
The Verdict? | United Kingdom Edition
If you were curious about Modafinil in the UK, that about wraps it up.
Everything you need to know about how to buy Modafinil in the UK.
The details you need to get the good stuff. The legalities. And how to get your hands on the world’s most popular smart drugs — at the best prices!
- Modafinil Oral: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-16962/modafinil-oral/details
- Ballon JS, Feifel D. A systematic review of modafinil: Potential clinical uses and mechanisms of action. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006;67(4):554‐566. doi:10.4088/jcp.v67n0406
- Baranski JV, Pigeau R, Dinich P, Jacobs I. Effects of modafinil on cognitive and meta-cognitive performance. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2004 Jul;19(5):323-32. doi: 10.1002/hup.596. PMID: 15252824.
- Modafinil. (2019, August 18). Retrieved from https://www.drugs.com/cdi/modafinil.html
- Giurgea C. Vers une pharmacologie de l’activité intégrative du cerveau. Tentative du concept nootrope en psychopharmacologie [Pharmacology of integrative activity of the brain. Attempt at nootropic concept in psychopharmacology]. Actual Pharmacol (Paris). 1972;25:115-56. French. PMID: 4541214.
- Biederman J, Swanson JM, Wigal SB, Boellner SW, Earl CQ, Lopez FA; Modafinil ADHD Study Group. A comparison of once-daily and divided doses of modafinil in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006 May;67(5):727-35. doi: 10.4088/jcp.v67n0506. PMID: 16841622.
- Dackis CA, Kampman KM, Lynch KG, Pettinati HM, O’Brien CP. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of modafinil for cocaine dependence. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005 Jan;30(1):205-11. doi: 10.1038/sj.npp.1300600. PMID: 15525998.
- Ishizuka T, Sakamoto Y, Sakurai T, Yamatodani A. Modafinil increases histamine release in the anterior hypothalamus of rats. Neurosci Lett. 2003;339(2):143-146. doi:10.1016/s0304-3940(03)00006-5
- Brown RE, Stevens DR, Haas HL. The physiology of brain histamine. Prog Neurobiol. 2001;63(6):637-672. doi:10.1016/s0301-0082(00)00039-3
- Zolkowska D, Jain R, Rothman RB, Partilla JS, Roth BL, Setola V, Prisinzano TE, Baumann MH. Evidence for the involvement of dopamine transporters in behavioral stimulant effects of modafinil. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2009 May;329(2):738-46. doi: 10.1124/jpet.108.146142. Epub 2009 Feb 5. PMID: 19197004; PMCID: PMC2672878.
- Minzenberg MJ, Carter CS. Modafinil: a review of neurochemical actions and effects on cognition. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008 Jun;33(7):1477-502. doi: 10.1038/sj.npp.1301534. Epub 2007 Aug 22. PMID: 17712350.
- modafinil – Drug Summary. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/Provigil-modafinil-2332
- Healthycanadians.gc.ca. 2020. ALERTEC (Modafinil) And The Risk Of Congenital Anomalies – Recalls And Safety Alerts. [online] Available at: <https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2019/70201a-eng.php#:~:text=ALERTEC%20(modafinil%20100%20mg%20tablets,a%20circadian%20rhythm%20sleep%20disorder).> [Accessed 3 October 2020].
- Lopes E, Pereira D, da Silva Behrens NS, de Almeida Fonseca H, Calvancanti PO, de Araújo Lima TF, Pradella-Hallinan M, Castro J, Tufik S, Coelho FM. Cataplexy as a side effect of modafinil in a patient without narcolepsy. Sleep Sci. 2014 Mar;7(1):47-9. doi:
- Apo-Modafinil. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.rexall.ca/articles/view/2663/Apo-Modafinil
- Medicines: reclassify your product. (2019, October 3). Retrieved from https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medicines-reclassify-your-product
- Find product information about medicines. (2019, December 19). Retrieved from http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/par/documents/websiteresources/con273748.pdf
- Misuse of Drugs Act 1971. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/38/contents
- Legislation.gov.uk. 2020. Psychoactive Substances Act 2016. [online] Available at: <https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2016/2/contents/enacted> [Accessed 4 October 2020].
- Off-label or unlicensed use of medicines: prescribers’ responsibilities. (2014, December 11). Retrieved from https://www.gov.uk/drug-safety-update/off-label-or-unlicensed-use-of-medicines-prescribers-responsibilities