Are you interested in learning more about Vilafinil? If so, you’ve come to the perfect place. In this detailed Vilafinil Review, we’ll explain what this drug is, how it works and how it’s typically prescribed and dosed by physicians.
For those in a hurry, Vilafinil is a generic brand of modafinil, an FDA-approved drug used to treat sleepiness. But for those looking for more information on Vilafinil, keep reading as we explore its uses, side effects and recommended dosing schedules.
Get 10% off all Buy Moda products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: BUYMODA#1
What Is Vilafinil?
Vilifinil is a generic version of modafinil, an FDA-approved drug used to treat conditions that cause excessive daytime drowsiness and sleepiness. Widely available online, Vilafinil is manufactured by Centurion Laboratories in India .
While many patients believe that generic drugs are inferior to brand-name versions, according to the FDA there is no discernible difference  and scientific studies have found generic drugs to offer “comparable clinical outcomes” to brand-name drugs . Vilafinil offers all the same benefits as brand-name modafinil like Provigil but for a fraction of the cost.
Vilafinil is significantly cheaper than Provigil because it isn’t manufactured under licence and Centurion Labs hasn’t had to shoulder any of the research and development costs related to modafinil. This lets them produce the drug more economically and pass the savings onto their consumers.
Modafinil was first discovered in 1976 by two scientists working for the French drug company Lafon. When Cephalon acquired Lafon in the early 2000s it gained worldwide rights to modafinil . However, when modafinil’s patent expired in 2015, many manufacturers began producing generic versions. That’s exactly what Vilafinil is — a generic version of modafinil that works exactly like Provigil.
As a generic modafinil product, Vilafinil offers the same exact benefits as Provigil and all other brand-name and generic versions of the drug. So, why would patients choose to buy Vilafinil?
The primary reason appears to be cost. When patients receive a prescription for brand-name modafinil and visit their pharmacy, they may be told that lower-priced generic versions are available. Alternatively, they can source these generics online (if permitted by their local laws). As a widely available generic drug, Vilafinil is an economical alternative to Provigil.
In terms of its medical benefits, Vilafinil works identically to Provigil and can be used to treat the same conditions as modafinil. Namely, these are narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome and shift work sleep disorder (SWSD). Patients who are diagnosed with one or more of these conditions can take Vilafinil in place of brand-name modafinil products and receive the same benefits.
Vilafinil is a low-level dopamine reuptake inhibitor which means that it increases the amount of dopamine in the brain, along with other neurotransmitters like histamine. Research has shown that this has a pronounced impact on “homeostatic and circadian modulation” and promotes a sense of wakefulness . Vilafinil is proven to offer cognitive neuroenhancement for sleep-deprived patients , making it ideal for treating narcolepsy and other sleep-wake disorders that cause chronic tiredness.
A lesser-known benefit of Vilafinil is that it can be used to treat patients who suffer from amphetamine and cocaine dependence . Patients can use Vilafinil to reduce their dependence on harmful substances . A similarly obscure benefit of Vilafinil is that it can help treat child patients with extreme attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) . However, this isn’t a common indication of modafinil, and the drug hasn’t been approved for this purpose .
Cognitive Benefits of Vilafinil
Scientific surveys have indicated that many people take modafinil without a prescription for cognitive enhancement . As a low-cost generic version of modafinil, Vilafinil is highly-sought after as a cognitive enhancer or “nootropic.” While there is no published research that specifically looks at Vilafinil, there is data to support modafinil’s effectiveness as a cognitive enhancer.
One study found that modafinil can help individuals during periods of “sustained mental work” and can enhance “mood, fatigue, and cognitive performance” . Similarly, research conducted on “healthy non-sleep-deprived subjects” found that modafinil offers “cognitive neuroenhancement” such as improvements in short-term recall . Another double-blind, placebo-controlled study found that modafinil has a measurable “effect on cognition” .
Individuals looking to experience modafinil’s purported cognitive benefits are attracted to Vilafinil for its reasonable price (compared with brand-name modafinil products) and ease of availability.
Now that we’ve covered the research-backed benefits of Vilafinil, let’s look at some of this drug’s documented side effects.
Vilafinil Side Effects
Since Vilafinil is a generic form of modafinil, readers interested in learning about Vilafinil’s side effects would have to look to modafinil’s side-effect profile. In fact, modafinil is known to cause a number of side effects, some of which are common and some uncommon .
Some of the rarer side effects caused by modafinil, and by extension Vilafinil, are allergic reactions to the drug’s active ingredient. Patients who are prescribed modafinil are advised to read all warnings related to the drug and look for issues such as skin rashes, swelling of the tongue, mouth or face, and breathing difficulties. Those who experience one or more of these reactions are advised to stop using modafinil immediately and seek medical assistance.
Some of the more common side effects caused by modafinil include:
- A dry mouth and/or throat,
- Difficulty sleeping (including insomnia),
- Nausea and/or an upset stomach,
- Increased nervousness and/or anxiety.
Research into modafinil side effects on subjects who didn’t suffer from narcolepsy has indicated that the most common side effects are headaches and nausea .
While the research indicates that modafinil doesn’t cause any severe side effects, patients should be advised that modafinil may be habit-forming as it increases levels of dopamine . Studies have shown that modafinil presents a low risk of addiction or dependence  when taken at the commonly prescribed dosage of 200 mg/day. However, when taken in higher doses (1,200 mg/day), it can cause dependence issues .
Where To Buy Vilafinil Online? | 2022 Guide
Readers who are curious about where to buy Vilafinil online will discover that they have plenty of options. Vilafinil is widely available online and there are numerous vendors. Our team has reviewed dozens of online vendors and ranked them according to the following factors:
- Speed of Delivery
In our team’s experience, two vendors offer superior service: Buy Moda and Modafinil XL.
Buy Moda is the oldest and most established nootropics vendor in the business. We have thoroughly tested their service and can confirm that they ship legitimate Vilafinil to their customers worldwide. Here are some of our findings:
- High-Quality Vilafinil: Buy Moda sells reagent test kits that can be used to test the purity of modafinil. When we ordered Vilafinil from this vendor and tested it, we found it to be extremely high quality. We detected no issues that would cause us to doubt the drug’s purity.
- Fast, Reliable Shipping: In our tests, all orders from this vendor arrived within 2-4 weeks and were neatly wrapped in professional packaging. Shipping fees are waived on orders over $100.
- 20% Bitcoin Discount: Buy Moda offers a 20 percent discount to all customers who pay with Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies.
- Generous Discounts: This vendor offers many additional ways to save including 30 additional pills on orders over $150 and 20% extra pills on subsequent orders. At the time of writing, they also have a discount code — BUYMODA#1 — that gets you an extra 10 percent discount.
- Guaranteed Delivery: Our team’s favorite aspect of ordering from this vendor was the promise of guaranteed delivery. In the event of a lost or stolen package, Buy Moda offers a free reshipment and a full refund if the second shipment doesn’t get through.
Overall, our team’s review indicates that Buy Moda is a trustworthy, reliable Vilafinil vendor. Patients looking for a low-cost alternative to brand-name modafinil would be well placed to check them out.
The second Vilafinil vendor that scored highly on our team’s test was Modafinil XL. When we tested their service, we found that they could deliver legit Vilafinil on time and with a high success rate.
Some of the reasons why we rate them so highly are:
- Top Quality Vilafinil: Having tested the Vilafinil we received from Modafinil XL with a reagent test, we found that it was exceptionally pure. We have no doubt that this vendor ships only the highest quality Vilafinil.
- Fast Shipping: Our team’s test orders from Modafinil XL arrived within 7-12 business days, which is exceptionally fast. This vendor usually charges $39 for standard shipping (14-30 days) and $49 for Express shipping (10-18 business days). However, these charges are waived on all orders over $140 and $180, respectively. We’re confident that patients with a modafinil prescription won’t have to wait long when they order Vilafinil from this vendor.
- Generous Deals and Discounts: Modafinil XL includes 10 free modafinil pills and 10 free armodafinil pills with every order, making its prices extremely competitive. They also offer a $25 coupon for customers to use on their second order.
- 20% Bitcoin Discount: Just like Buy Moda, Modafinil XL also offers a hefty 20 percent discount for all customers who pay with cryptocurrency, such as Bitcoin.
- Guaranteed Delivery: This vendor offers free reships and refunds in the event of lost or stolen orders. Our team didn’t have the opportunity to test this as all of our test orders arrived.
Our team’s review of this vendor indicated that it ships high-quality Vilafinil at reasonable prices. The timeframe for deliveries is competitive and readers who seek a low-cost alternative to Provigil should find that this vendor can meet their needs.
Is Vilafinil Legal?
The short answer is yes: Vilafinil is subject to the same laws and restrictions as modafinil and is legal in almost every country. The caveat is that in most countries, Vilafinil can only be sold by a registered pharmacy to patients with a valid prescription.
To get a modafinil prescription, patients must first be diagnosed with a sleep-wake disorder like narcolepsy, or a related condition that causes excessive daytime sleepiness. Most doctors will refer patients to a sleep specialist who is better placed to make a full diagnosis.
Vilafinil’s legal status varies from one country to the next. In some countries, modafinil is not a registered product. In other countries, possessing modafinil for personal use isn’t an offense, even without a prescription. Spain, for instance, has decriminalized virtually all drugs for personal use .
How Long Does Vilafinil Take To Work?
Adult patients who suffer from SWSD are advised to take modafinil one hour before the start of their shift . This indicates that it takes around this length of time for the drug to work. Vilafinil, as a generic brand of modafinil, works in a similar time frame.
Vilafinil Dosage and Tolerance
Vilafinil pills are sold in 200 mg strength, exactly the same as brand-name modafinil products like Provigil. Therefore, they can be dosed in the same way.
The approved posology for adult patients who suffer from narcolepsy and/or obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome is one 200 mg modafinil tablet daily, preferably early in the morning.
Adults suffering from shift work sleep disorder can take the same amount – one 200 mg modafinil tablet – one hour before their shift begins .
These dosages can be adjusted at the discretion of the prescribing physician. Doctors in the EU can increase the daily dose to 400 mg if patients show an insufficient response to 200 mg .
Vilafinill vs. Modalert vs. Modvigil vs. Provigil
Patients who receive a prescription for brand-name modafinil like Provigil may hear that generic brands are available. Vilafinil is one of three such brands; the others are Modalert and Modvigil. This begs the question, what’s the difference between these four brands of modafinil?
The main quantifiable difference is price. Generic brands such as Vilafinil, Modalert and Modvigil tend to be 80-90 percent cheaper than brand-name Provigil. This makes them highly attractive to patients who want the benefits of Provigil for pennies on the dollar.
Beyond the price, these drugs are virtually indistinguishable at a chemical level. As we mentioned earlier, our team used a reagent test to check the purity of Vilafinil and have no doubt that it contains the same active ingredient as Provigil. The same goes for Modalert and Modvigil. They all contain the same active ingredient, at the same dose, and provide the same benefits.
But in reality, everyone responds to drugs differently. Our team has tested Vilafinil and compared it with Modalert and Modvigil. Here’s what we found:
Most importantly, all three generic modafinil brands offer the same 12+ hours of alertness and increased wakefulness that patients experience with Provigil. However, in our tests, Modalert lasted slightly longer than the two other generics, Modvigil and Vilafinil.
Second, we found that Vilafinil costs significantly less than Modalert and Modvigil. BuyModa sells 200 Vilafinil 200 mg pills for just $185, compared with $219 and $249 for the same quantity of Modvigil and Modalert respectively.
The bottom line? Vilafinil is cheap, but based on our experience, we cannot say that it’s any more effective than Modalert or Modvigil.
Vilafinil Review | Verdict?
If you were curious about Vilafinil and what it has to offer, we trust that this Vilafinil review has given you a full overview of the drug. Customers looking for a well-priced modafinil alternative would do well to try this affordable generic modafinil brand.
Our team found that it offers all the same great benefits as pricey brand-name Provigil for a fraction of the cost. It’s not the longest-lasting generic modafinil – that honor goes to Modalert – but it is economical and may be of interest to our readers.
- Centurion Laboratories Private Limited – Manufacturer from Vadiwadi, Vadodara, India | Profile. Centurionlaboratories.com. (2021). Retrieved 7 March 2021, from https://www.centurionlaboratories.com/profile.html.
- Generic Drug Facts. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (2021). Retrieved 5 March 2021, from https://www.fda.gov/drugs/generic-drugs/generic-drug-facts.
- Desai RJ, Sarpatwari A, Dejene S, Khan NF, Lii J, Rogers JR, Dutcher SK, Raofi S, Bohn J, Connolly JG, Fischer MA, Kesselheim AS, Gagne JJ. Comparative effectiveness of generic and brand-name medication use: A database study of US health insurance claims. PLoS Med. 2019 Mar 13;16(3):e1002763. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1002763. PMID: 30865626; PMCID: PMC6415809.
- Sec.gov. (2021). Retrieved 6 March 2021, from https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/873364/000091205701541701/a2065078zex-99_1.txt.
- Chapotot F, Pigeau R, Canini F, Bourdon L, Buguet A. Distinctive effects of modafinil and d-amphetamine on the homeostatic and circadian modulation of the human waking EEG. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2003 Mar;166(2):127-38. doi: 10.1007/s00213-002-1315-8. Epub 2003 Jan 28. PMID: 12552359.
- Baranski JV, Pigeau RA. Self-monitoring cognitive performance during sleep deprivation: effects of modafinil, d-amphetamine and placebo. J Sleep Res. 1997 Jun;6(2):84-91. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.1997.00032.x. PMID: 9377538.
- Dackis CA, Kampman KM, Lynch KG, Pettinati HM, O'Brien CP. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of modafinil for cocaine dependence. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005 Jan;30(1):205-11. doi: 10.1038/sj.npp.1300600. PMID: 15525998.
- Mereu M, Bonci A, Newman AH, Tanda G. The neurobiology of modafinil as an enhancer of cognitive performance and a potential treatment for substance use disorders. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2013 Oct;229(3):415-34. doi: 10.1007/s00213-013-3232-4. Epub 2013 Aug 10. PMID: 23934211; PMCID: PMC3800148.
- Biederman J, Swanson JM, Wigal SB, Boellner SW, Earl CQ, Lopez FA; Modafinil ADHD Study Group. A comparison of once-daily and divided doses of modafinil in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006 May;67(5):727-35. doi: 10.4088/jcp.v67n0506. PMID: 16841622.
- Provigil: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Warnings – Drugs.com. Drugs.com. (2021). Retrieved 5 March 2021, from https://www.drugs.com/provigil.html.
- Teodorini, Rachel D et al. “The off-prescription use of modafinil: An online survey of perceived risks and benefits.” PloS one vol. 15,2 e0227818. 5 Feb. 2020, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0227818
- Pigeau R, Naitoh P, Buguet A, McCann C, Baranski J, Taylor M, Thompson M, MacK I I. Modafinil, d-amphetamine and placebo during 64 hours of sustained mental work. I. Effects on mood, fatigue, cognitive performance and body temperature. J Sleep Res. 1995 Dec;4(4):212-228. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.1995.tb00172.x. PMID: 10607161.
- Battleday RM, Brem AK. Modafinil for cognitive neuroenhancement in healthy non-sleep-deprived subjects: A systematic review. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2015 Nov;25(11):1865-81. doi: 10.1016/j.euroneuro.2015.07.028. Epub 2015 Aug 20. PMID: 26381811.
- Minzenberg MJ, Carter CS. Modafinil: a review of neurochemical actions and effects on cognition. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008 Jun;33(7):1477-502. doi: 10.1038/sj.npp.1301534. Epub 2007 Aug 22. PMID: 17712350.
- Lopes E, Pereira D, da Silva Behrens NS, de Almeida Fonseca H, Cavalcanti PÓ, de Araújo Lima TF, Pradella-Hallinan M, Castro J, Tufik S, Coelho FM. Cataplexy as a side effect of modafinil in a patient without narcolepsy. Sleep Sci. 2014 Mar;7(1):47-9. doi: 10.1016/j.slsci.2014.07.015. Epub 2014 Aug 19. PMID: 26483900; PMCID: PMC4521649.
- Volkow, Nora D et al. “Effects of modafinil on dopamine and dopamine transporters in the male human brain: clinical implications.” JAMA vol. 301,11 (2009): 1148-54. doi:10.1001/jama.2009.351
- Drug Scheduling. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.dea.gov/drug-scheduling
- Krishnan, Raman, and Krishnan Vengadaragava Chary. “A rare case modafinil dependence.” Journal of pharmacology & pharmacotherapeutics vol. 6,1 (2015): 49-50. doi:10.4103/0976-500X.149149
- Emcdda.europa.eu. 2020. Drug Laws And Drug Law Offences In Spain 2019 | Www.Emcdda.Europa.Eu. [online] Available at: <https://www.emcdda.europa.eu/countries/drug-reports/2019/spain/drug-laws-and-drug-law-offences_en> [Accessed 5 November 2020].
- Legemiddelverket.no. (2021). Retrieved 6 March 2021, from https://legemiddelverket.no/Documents/Bivirkninger%20og%20sikkerhet/Bivirkningsnyheter%20annet/11-10273-20%20Summary%20of%20scientific%20discussion%204407407_2_0.pdf.