Curious about how to buy Modafinil in Japan right now?
Well, you've come to the right place.
In this detailed guide, we'll discuss everything you need to know about Modafinil in Japan, including its benefits, legal status, how to get a prescription, and more.
The reality? Modafinil is actually illegal in Japan — unless you happen to suffer from narcolepsy and have been prescribed it by a doctor.
If you don’t have a prescription, buying Modafinil online is not recommended.
Still, it is possible…
Instead, you're better off using the world's best over-the-counter nootropic.
But maybe you’re curious about how to import Modafinil into Japan and the legalities around such things. If that's the case, simply keep reading this guide and all will be revealed.
What Is Modafinil?
Quite simply, Modafinil is the world’s most popular smart drug.
Worldwide, thousands of students, CEOs, entrepreneurs, and busy professionals routinely use Modafinil to work harder, longer, and more effectively.
As a cognitive enhancer, Modafinil is without equal. A single 200mg tablet will give you an array of incredible benefits such as:
- 12+ hours of hyper-productivity .
- Superhuman levels of focus .
- Enhanced memory, recall, and non-verbal cognition .
- The inability to feel fatigued .
- Better mood and outlook.
- And much, much more!
Modafinil isn’t a ‘magical’ drug; it won’t complete your work for you. But it will massively increase your motivation and let you push yourself further than ever. When you take Modafinil, pulling an all-nighter becomes easy. And completing uninterested work becomes enjoyable.
Although many people liken Modafinil to the fictional ‘NZT-48’ pill from the movie “Limitless”, there’s really nothing mysterious about the drug. It’s actually a well-researched and widely used narcolepsy medication. Technically, it’s a ‘eugeroic’, which means it’s a type of drug that helps people stay awake and fight fatigue .
Modafinil was discovered in the 1970s by two French scientists working for the pharmaceutical company L. Lafon. It was developed as an experimental treatment for narcolepsy, a condition that causes people to feel uncontrollably drowsy during the day. Modafinil was given to French troops during the first Gulf War (1991-2) to help them stay awake and was officially released in 1994 under the brand name ‘Modiodal’.
Needless to say, Modafinil proved to be extremely effective. It was introduced throughout Europe and worldwide during the late ‘90s and early 2000s. In Japan, Modafinil is registered under the brand name ‘Modiodal’.
Is Modafinil Legal in Japan?
The short answer? No, at the least, it's not over-the-counter legal.
Modafinil is a Schedule 1 Psychotropic according to this Japanese travel site . If you check the website of Japan's Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, they make it clear that importing scheduled psychotropics is strictly prohibited without specific permissions .
This makes it abundantly clear that Modafinil is NOT an over-the-counter substance or something that should be treated lightly.
Japan is known for its relatively strict drug laws, and no exceptions are made for Modafinil.
- If you are living in Japan, you’ll need a prescription from a Japanese doctor if you'd like to buy Modafinil (Modiodal) from a pharmacy.
- If you are visiting the country and want to bring some Modafinil with you, you will need a prescription from your doctor or a doctor in your country of origin. The maximum amount you can bring is a 30-day supply.
The good news is that some online vendors do ship generic Modafinil to Japan. The risk is low as long as you're not importing giant amounts; anything under 100 pills should be fine. It’s also wise to purchase with Bitcoin.
There are stories of people getting arrested importing Modafinil to Japan, but these cases typically involve people ordering more than 100 pills at a time .
If you stay below this limit, you should be fine. While we don't recommend buying Modafinil online in Japan, it is doable with one of our recommended vendors detailed below.
How to Get a Modafinil Prescription in Japan
You can only get a Modafinil prescription in Japan if you have been diagnosed with narcolepsy. This is the only reason you can get one.
You can try and fake having narcolepsy or another sleep-related condition, but we don't recommend it. The doctor will ask for tests to confirm your diagnosis, and the truth will come out. Narcolepsy is not something you can fake.
Acquiring a Modafinil prescription is not easy in Japan.
If you’re determined to try, then you’ll need to be able to speak Japanese or get a Japanese-speaking friend or translator to help you. But again, the odds are stacked against you.
The better option? Order some generic Modafinil online from one of our recommended vendors.
Speaking of which, it's time to tell you about our top two favorite online vendors serving Japan.
How to Buy Modafinil Online in Japan | 2022 Guide
Japan has customs and drug laws that are stricter than most countries. There is no denying this. As such, very few vendors ship Modafinil to the country.
We’ve found two high-quality online Modafinil vendors that do ship to Japan. Just be sure to order 100 pills or less, and pay for your order with Bitcoin.
Using a false name may be prudent, as well.
Our top recommendation for a trusted Modafinil vendor is Buy Moda. They’ve been shipping legit nootropics to Japan for years and have an impeccable track record.
Here are some of the things we love about them:
- Fast, Trackable Shipping: Buy Moda ships Modafinil to Japan directly from Singapore, so you can expect your order to arrive in as little as 2-4 weeks. They’ll email you the tracking info as soon as your order has been dispatched and you can track your order via SingPost. Oh, and shipping is FREE on all orders over $100!
- Impressive Bitcoin Discount: Paying for your order with Bitcoin is the smart option; not only does it protect your privacy but you’ll get 20% off your order. A nice little way to save!
- Great Bonuses: Buy Moda offers plenty of bonuses. They include 30 extra pills on all orders over $150 and give you 20% more pills on your second order as a ‘thank you’ for being a loyal, returning customer.
- 10% off Coupon Code: Besides the hefty 20% Bitcoin discount, you can get a further 10% off with the code ‘BUYMODA#1’ when you spend $100 or more.
- GUARANTEED Delivery: If your order doesn’t arrive (for whatever reason) you’ll get a free reship or 100% refund. Your choice. Basically, there’s no risk when you order from these guys!
If you’re looking for a reliable Modafinil vendor, Buy Moda should be your first and only choice. They are American owned and offer brilliant customer service.
Get 15% off all Buy Moda products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: BUYMODA#1
If you’re looking for another vendor, ModaPharma is our second choice. They have been around for a while and have a solid reputation for shipping high-quality Modafinil to Japan and worldwide with excellent shipping times.
Here are some of the things they do exceptionally well:
- Fully Tested Nootropics: ModaPharma never ships fake or substandard pills. They get every batch tested for purity at an independent laboratory. You can order in confidence knowing that you will receive nothing less than pure Modafinil.
- INSURED Shipping: If you’re worried about whether your order will arrive in Japan, then relax. ModaPharma covers all shipments with their famous “SureDelivery” guarantee. Either you receive your shipment or you’ll get a free reship or full refund.
- Fast Delivery: ModaPharma processes ALL orders within 24 hours and most shipments arrive in under 12 business days. As all shipments are fully trackable and insured to your door, you are certain to get your order fast.
Overall, ModaPharma isn’t the cheapest option, but they offer a great selection of Modafinil products, fantastic customer service, and a rock-solid shipping guarantee.
Order Modafinil from a great online vendor, ModaPharma
‘Brand Name' Modafinil and Armodafinil in Japan
When it comes to Modafinil, there are “brand name” products and then there are “generic” Modafinil products. When we talk about brand-name Modafinil in Japan, we’re referring to ‘Modiodal’, which is the officially registered product name. However, pharmacies also stock ‘Nuvigil’ which is the brand name for Armodafinil.
In case you were wondering, Armodafinil is like Modafinil’s younger cousin. It was developed much more recently and has a longer half-life, which makes it more effective at treating sleep-related disorders like narcolepsy. At a chemical level, Armodafinil is like a mirror image of Modafinil; the two drugs are ‘enantiopure compounds’. The only difference is that Armodafinil happens to last longer.
However, you won’t find these brand name products when you shop online. Instead, you’ll find generic brands such as:
Here's the truth though; these generic brands are just as good as their brand name counterparts.
There is no difference between generic and name brand Modafinil!
Our team has tried all of the generic brands and can confirm that they all offer insane cognitive benefits that are identical to the brand name products, Provigil, and Nuvigil.
The only real difference is that they are ten times cheaper.
Modalert is our favorite, but we recommend that you buy a sample pack and try several until you find the one that suits you.
Buying Modafinil online in Japan is possible, although it’s not something we recommend. Most users experience zero issues provided they order less than 100 pills and they pay for their order with Bitcoin.
If you do those two things, you should be able to successfully import small quantities of Modafinil into Japan virtually risk-free.
But legal issues shouldn’t be your only concern; you also need to consider your health.
You see, Modafinil works by increasing levels of dopamine in your brain. And, just like any substance that increases dopamine, Modafinil can potentially be habit-forming . That’s the main reason why it is a prescription-only drug in Japan and most other countries – it has a low risk of dependence.
The good news is that cases of people becoming ‘hooked’ on Modafinil are extremely rare. There is just one documented case of a patient developing a dependence to the drug . But you still need to exercise caution.
Therefore, we suggest that you limit your Modafinil intake to no more than 200mg per dose for a maximum of 2-3 times per week. After two months of taking the drug, give yourself a complete break for two weeks. This practice is known as ‘cycling’; it prevents your body from developing a tolerance to the drug and ensures that you keep getting the cognitive benefits without having to increase your dose.
On days when you aren’t taking Modafinil but still want a cognitive boost, we recommend a great over-the-counter nootropic that is 100% legal:
Mind Lab Pro
Mind Lab Pro is a fantastic all-in-one nootropic that combines a total of 11 natural ingredients to help your brain perform at its best. As a dietary supplement, Mind Lab Pro has virtually zero side effects and is safe enough to take all year.
The ingredients are:
- Bacopa Monnieri: A potent herb that helps knowledge retention, blood flow to the brain, and brain chemical synthesis .
- Citicoline: A potent nootropic that boosts attention, focus, energy, and neural regeneration .
- Phosphatidylserine (PS): A compound that helps promote fluid and flexible cell membrane structures. This keeps your brain healthy and helps fight the effects of aging.
- Maritime Pine Bark Extract: A proven memory-boosting nootropic .
- Organic Lion’s Mane Mushroom (Yamabushitake): This mushroom extract has been used for thousands of years to boost mood, lower stress, and fight cognitive impairment .
- L-Tyrosine: A research-backed cognitive enhancer .
- L-Theanine: A nootropic that promotes a type of relaxed focus so that you don't feel jittery and can work productively.
- Rhodiola Rosea: A natural extract that boosts mental energy.
- Vitamins B6, B9, and B12: These vitamins have been shown to help with blood flow and brain health.
Together, these 11 ingredients work in synergy to give you a boost in performance that’s similar to Modafinil, with none of the side effects.
Mind Lab Pro’s only real disadvantage is that it doesn’t give you the 12+ hours of insane focus that you get from Modafinil. Instead, it offers a perfectly decent 6-8+ hours worth. That's still plenty of time to absolutely crush all your work for the day!
All in all, Mind Lab Pro is our favorite over-the-counter nootropic and comes highly, highly recommended!
Mind Lab Pro!
Modafinil in Japan | The Verdict
That about does it. Everything you must know about buying Modafinil online in Japan.
In conclusion, ordering Modafinil online is possible for both expats and Japanese citizens. However, it is not recommended. Mind Lab Pro is 100% legal and offers almost all the same cognitive benefits as Modafinil with none of the side effects or shipping issues.
- Chapotot F, Pigeau R, Canini F, Bourdon L, Buguet A. Distinctive effects of modafinil and d-amphetamine on the homeostatic and circadian modulation of the human waking EEG. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2003 Mar;166(2):127-38. doi: 10.1007/s00213-002-1315-8. Epub 2003 Jan 28. PMID: 12552359. 5.
- Pigeau R, Naitoh P, Buguet A, McCann C, Baranski J, Taylor M, Thompson M, MacK I I. Modafinil, d-amphetamine and placebo during 64 hours of sustained mental work. I. Effects on mood, fatigue, cognitive performance and body temperature. J Sleep Res. 1995 Dec;4(4):212-228. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.1995.tb00172.x. PMID: 10607161.
- Müller, U., Rowe, J. B., Rittman, T., Lewis, C., Robbins, T. W., & Sahakian, B. J. (2013, January). Effects of modafinil on non-verbal cognition, task enjoyment and creative thinking in healthy volunteers. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3485563/
- Baranski JV, Pigeau RA. Self-monitoring cognitive performance during sleep deprivation: effects of modafinil, d-amphetamine and placebo. J Sleep Res. 1997 Jun;6(2):84-91. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.1997.00032.x. PMID: 9377538.
- Gerrard, P., & Malcolm, R. (2007, June). Mechanisms of modafinil: A review of current research. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2654794/
- List of Psychotropics. www.ncd.mhlw.go.jp/img/en/total.pdf.
- (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/01.html
- 薬物密輸:容疑で理研実習生逮捕 兵庫県警 – 毎日新聞. (2015, November 13). Retrieved from https://archive.is/9dFGL
- Volkow N, Li TK. The neuroscience of addiction. Nat Neurosci. 2005 Nov;8(11):1429-30. doi: 10.1038/nn1105-1429. PMID: 16251981.
- Krishnan, R., & Chary, K. V. (2015). A rare case modafinil dependence. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4319252/
- Kongkeaw C, Dilokthornsakul P, Thanarangsarit P, Limpeanchob N, Norman Scholfield C. Meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials on cognitive effects of Bacopa monnieri extract. J Ethnopharmacol. 2014;151(1):528-535. doi:10.1016/j.jep.2013.11.008
- Grieb P. Neuroprotective properties of citicoline: facts, doubts and unresolved issues. CNS Drugs. 2014;28(3):185-193. doi:10.1007/s40263-014-0144-8
- Paarmann K, Prakash SR, Krohn M, et al. French maritime pine bark treatment decelerates plaque development and improves spatial memory in Alzheimer's disease mice. Phytomedicine. 2019;57:39-48. doi:10.1016/j.phymed.2018.11.033
- Mori K, Inatomi S, Ouchi K, Azumi Y, Tuchida T. Improving effects of the mushroom Yamabushitake (Hericium erinaceus) on mild cognitive impairment: a double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. Phytother Res. 2009;23(3):367-372. doi:10.1002/ptr.2634
- Fond G, Micoulaud-Franchi JA, Brunel L, et al. Innovative mechanisms of action for pharmaceutical cognitive enhancement: A systematic review. Psychiatry Res. 2015;229(1-2):12-20. doi:10.1016/j.psychres.2015.07.006