Curious about how to buy Modafinil in New Zealand these days? If so, you're in the perfect place.
In this in-depth guide, we'll breakdown everything you must know about getting your hands on the world's most popular nootropic while living in New Zealand.
But here's the short answer…
We realize that you're probably looking for more information than simply where to buy Modafinil online, which is why we intentionally made this guide fairly detailed.
Below you'll find information on the origins of Modafinil, its safety, and the legal status of this smart drug in New Zealand. Everything you'd ever want to know about Modafinil in the country.
What is Modafinil?
Before we dive too deep into buying Modafinil in New Zealand, let's take a look at exactly what the nootropic is and why it's so popular these days.
Modafinil is a type of drug known as a ‘wakefulness-promoting agent' – or ‘eugeroic'. It was discovered in France in the mid-1970s and was released as a medicine called ‘Modiodal' in October 1994 . Modafinil didn’t officially come to New Zealand until 2001. It is registered here under the brand name ‘Modavigil’.
In New Zealand, Modavigil is a prescription-only drug that’s mostly used to treat adults who suffer narcolepsy, Shift Work Disorder, or sleep apnea . However, it also has a range of ‘off label’ uses . It has been shown to help treat a range of psychiatric conditions such as ADHD, schizophrenia, and cocaine addiction , , , besides other illnesses.
As you can probably imagine, Modafinil’s ‘off label’ benefits are well known outside the medical community. By the early 2000s, students, entrepreneurs, and even top CEOs began self-administering Modafinil to experience its cognitive benefits for themselves.
A single 200mg pill of Modafinil offers things like :
- 12+ hours of intense focus
- Sharper memory
- Faster reaction times
- Higher productivity
- Inability to sleep or feel fatigued, i.e. great for all-nighters
- …And more!
Curious about how Modafinil does all this?
Let us explain.
Modafinil lets you work flat-out because it’s a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant that increases levels of something called ‘histamine’ in the brain . This keeps you bright-eyed and alert for over 12 hours . Modafinil boosts your mood and memory because it prevents the reuptake of dopamine in the brain  and this leads to higher-than-normal amounts .
In short, Modafinil is the world’s most popular nootropic and study drug for one simple reason:
Modafinil Side Effects and Safety
Unlike the fictional “NZT-48” pill featured in the movie “Limitless”, Modafinil isn't going to make you forget what happened over several days or give you unbearable brain fog the next day.
In fact, it is one of the safest drugs you will ever come across. But this doesn't mean it is completely free of side effects.
According to one study published in a peer-reviewed medical journal, a 200mg dose of Modafinil can cause the following side effects :
- Sore mouth and/or throat.
Fortunately, most of these side effects were mild and went away soon within 24 hours. The study also noted that most participants experienced no side effects at all.
Why, then, is Modafinil a prescription drug in New Zealand?
The main reason lies in its underlying mechanism of action. As Modafinil increases dopamine, the worry is that people who overuse it could potentially develop an addiction . However, cases of Modafinil dependence virtually non-existent and the only documented cases involve people taking extremely high doses of the drug .
So, which of Modafinil’s side effects should you be worried about?
Fortunately, you can avoid most – if not all – of the side effects listed above by taking a few simple precautions.
First, make sure you stay hydrated throughout the day. Drinking 2-4 liters of water is advisable. Remember: Modafinil suppresses your appetite so you need to make a conscious effort to eat and drink while you’re on this drug.
Second, ensure your last dose of Modafinil is not taken after 10 am so you can fall asleep at your normal bedtime. Of course, this rule does not apply if you want to pull an all-nighter!
Third, avoid mixing Modafinil with any other drug if possible. It gives you a potent kick and you shouldn’t take other stimulants.
However, there are more serious yet very rare side effects that could take place. They include serious rashes, trouble breathing, and mania .
When in doubt, ALWAYS speak to your doctor. Certain health conditions like high blood pressure and liver problems may require a discussion with a medical professional before you start using Modafinil.
In our opinion, Modafinil isn’t for you if you are prone to severe anxiety or depression, if you are on prescription medication, or you are pregnant .
Is Modafinil Legal in New Zealand?
For many people, figuring out whether Modafinil is legal in New Zealand is an important step before placing an order. Before we made our first Modafinil purchase online, we had a bunch of crazy thoughts of the feds showing up at our front door because we bought smart drugs online.
You may have had similar thoughts ;(
Is Modafinil legal in New Zealand?
The reality is yes…and no.
Modafinil in New Zealand falls into what can only be described as a legal “grey area”. If you have been diagnosed with a medical condition, Modafinil is 100% legal in the country
Once you have a prescription, you can legally possess and use Modafinil in New Zealand without any hassle.
New Zealand classifies Modafinil as a Schedule 1 prescription medication . However, the country does not list the pharmaceutical drug as a ‘restricted’ medicine.
This means that individuals with Modafinil prescriptions in New Zealand can legally order the smart drug online from wherever they'd like.
However, according to MedSafe, the maximum you can import at one time is three months' supply . That’s roughly 90 Modafinil tablets at 200 mg per tablet.
But let's say you don't have a Modafinil prescription in New Zealand, yet you want to order Modafinil online. Is this possible?
Well, we’re not lawyers or legal scholars. So you'll have to take our advice with a grain of salt…
But we have yet to find cases of anyone ordering Modafinil online in New Zealand and experiencing any issues receiving their shipment. The two online Modafinil vendors we recommend below both ship to New Zealand with guaranteed delivery.
This means you either get your Modafinil order or you get your money back. Guaranteed!
Furthermore, no one in NZ has ever been convicted for importing Modafinil for personal use. The worst that would happen is MedSafe throws your package away and you get a letter in the mail.
How to Get a Modafinil Prescription in New Zealand
For individuals looking to get a Modafinil prescription in New Zealand, it is possible.
Doctors in New Zealand will not prescribe Modafinil for its ‘off label’ benefits as a cognitive enhancer, there are three specific ailments that can be treated with the prescription drug.
According to MedSafe, Modafinil can be prescribed to treat :
- Chronic Sleep Apnea
- Excessive Shift Sleep Disorder
Basically, if someone is suffering from excessive daytime sleepiness due to one of the ailments above, they can get Modafinil prescribed in New Zealand.
It's hard to prove you have narcolepsy without actually having narcolepsy.
Oh, and if you claim you have sleep apnea, any self-respecting doctor will immediately order a sleep study to confirm the issues you're having.
You may be able to claim shift sleep disorder, but most doctors will then ask for you to submit some type of proof that you've been working nights for months on end before prescribing a pharmaceutical drug.
So yes, you can get a Modafinil prescription in New Zealand, but most people find it much easier to simply:
Order Modafinil online!
Where to Buy Modafinil Online in New Zealand | 2021 Guide
Enough of my fluff above, let's dig into the meat and potatoes of this detailed guide.
Below you'll find everything you need to know about how and where to buy Modafinil online while living in New Zealand — whether you're a local or an expat in the country:
If you’re from New Zealand or are living there, our top recommendation is Buy Moda.
These guys have been around for years and know exactly what they’re doing when it comes to shipping legit Modafinil to New Zealand.
Here are some of the reasons we love them:
- Renowned Customer Service: Buy Moda’s customer support is legendary. They are the only vendor to use 100% American support specialists (no outsourcing here) so you can trust that your questions or issues will be responded to promptly.
- Guaranteed Delivery: Here’s the deal; why you buy from Buy Moda, they’ll give you one free reshipment in the unlikely event that your order doesn’t get through. If the second attempt fails, they’ll give you a 100% refund, no questions asked.
- Massive Bitcoin Discount: Fancy getting 20% off your order? Buy Moda will give you 20% off when you pay with Bitcoin (BTC). Now that’s a phenomenal offer. If you haven't got into crypto yet, what better reason do you need?
Besides these incredible benefits, Buy Moda also offers fast shipping, discreet packaging, and low, low prices on all their nootropics.
We’re certain that you won’t be disappointed when you order from these guys. Check them out for yourself and you’ll see what we mean.
Get 15% off all Buy Moda products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: BUYMODA#1
The other online Modafinil pharmacy that’s great for anyone and everyone in New Zealand is Modafinil XL.
There’s so much we love about this vendor, including:
- Express Shipping: Modafinil XL offers free Express Shipping on all orders above $150. You can expect your order to be delivered to New Zealand in as little as 7-18 days.
- Multiple Payment Options: Modafinil XL makes paying for your order incredibly easy. You can use Visa, AmEx, MasterCard, PayPal, e-Check, Bitcoin, and other cryptos. Oh, and you’ll get a 20% discount when you pay in Bitcoin! If you're not crypto-savvy yet, getting started is a breeze and Modafinil XL have a complete guide on how to buy nootropics using Bitcoin.
- Reasonable Prices: While this vendor isn’t as cheap as Buy Moda, they offer fair prices and won’t rip you off. They are great for bulk-orders.
- Guaranteed Delivery: These guys offer full refunds and reshipment if needed. However, they have a high success rate so this shouldn’t be necessary.
Overall, this is an awesome Modafinil vendor and we’re incredibly happy to recommend them. You can expect discreet packaging, speedy delivery, and helpful customer service.
We definitely recommend you start here when looking to make your first online Modafinil purchases from NZ.
Get 10% off all ModafinilXL products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: ENJOY10OFF
We understand that some people will not want to deal with importing Modafinil for personal use. That's a valid concern and we get it.
Luckily, you still have options when it comes to cognitive enhancement.
There are a couple of over-the-counter nootropics in New Zealand that are worth your money. But here is the only over-the-counter nootropic product we've been using as of late:
Mind Lab Pro
If you're looking for an over-the-counter nootropic, then Mind Lab Pro is our #1 recommendation — and for good reason! This smart drug just works.
Now, don't get it twisted.
You won't find 12-15+ hours of focus with Mind Lab Pro like you would with Modafinil. However, you'll get a solid 6-8+ hours of enhanced cognitive function and an insane creative boost.
We like to take Mind Lab Pro when we’re looking to crush a full day of creative work, whereas we take Modafinil when we need to crush 12+ hours of work.
Mind Lab Pro offers a mix of 11-brain boosting ingredients that work together to enhance your mind, offer great focus, and help you get stuff done.
Overall, we've been more than impressed with this smart drug and recommend it to tons of people. It's our #1 nootropic to “cycle” when we’re not taking Modafinil, and it’s a potent Modafinil alternative.
Mind Lab Pro!
Modafinil in New Zealand | The Verdict?
Everything you'd ever need to know about Modafinil in New Zealand can be found above. From legalities to prescriptions to where to buy nootropics online in NZ.
We tried to make this guide all-encompassing to ensure you have everything you need to make an intelligent decision regarding nootropics in New Zealand.
- Modafinil Oral: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-16962/modafinil-oral/details
- Ballon JS, Feifel D. A systematic review of modafinil: Potential clinical uses and mechanisms of action. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006;67(4):554‐566. doi:10.4088/jcp.v67n0406
- Modafinil: Indications, Side Effects, Warnings. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.drugs.com/cdi/modafinil.html
- (2019, August 18). Retrieved from https://www.drugs.com/cdi/modafinil.html
- Biederman J, Swanson JM, Wigal SB, Boellner SW, Earl CQ, Lopez FA; Modafinil ADHD Study Group. A comparison of once-daily and divided doses of modafinil in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006 May;67(5):727-35. doi: 10.4088/jcp.v67n0506. PMID: 16841622.
- Dackis CA, Kampman KM, Lynch KG, Pettinati HM, O'Brien CP. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of modafinil for cocaine dependence. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005 Jan;30(1):205-11. doi: 10.1038/sj.npp.1300600. PMID: 15525998.
- Baranski JV, Pigeau R, Dinich P, Jacobs I. Effects of modafinil on cognitive and meta-cognitive performance. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2004 Jul;19(5):323-32. doi: 10.1002/hup.596. PMID: 15252824.
- Ishizuka T, Sakamoto Y, Sakurai T, Yamatodani A. Modafinil increases histamine release in the anterior hypothalamus of rats. Neurosci Lett. 2003;339(2):143-146. doi:10.1016/s0304-3940(03)00006-5
- Brown RE, Stevens DR, Haas HL. The physiology of brain histamine. Prog Neurobiol. 2001;63(6):637-672. doi:10.1016/s0301-0082(00)00039-3
- Zolkowska D, Jain R, Rothman RB, Partilla JS, Roth BL, Setola V, Prisinzano TE, Baumann MH. Evidence for the involvement of dopamine transporters in behavioral stimulant effects of modafinil. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2009 May;329(2):738-46. doi: 10.1124/jpet.108.146142. Epub 2009 Feb 5. PMID: 19197004; PMCID: PMC2672878.
- Minzenberg MJ, Carter CS. Modafinil: a review of neurochemical actions and effects on cognition. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008 Jun;33(7):1477-502. doi: 10.1038/sj.npp.1301534. Epub 2007 Aug 22. PMID: 17712350.
- Lopes E, Pereira D, da Silva Behrens NS, de Almeida Fonseca H, Calvancanti PO, de Araújo Lima TF, Pradella-Hallinan M, Castro J, Tufik S, Coelho FM. Cataplexy as a side effect of modafinil in a patient without narcolepsy. Sleep Sci. 2014 Mar;7(1):47-9. doi: 10.1016/j.slsci.2014.07.015. Epub 2014 Aug 19. PMID: 26483900; PMCID: PMC4521649.
- Volkow N, Li TK. The neuroscience of addiction. Nat Neurosci. 2005 Nov;8(11):1429-30. doi: 10.1038/nn1105-1429. PMID: 16251981.
- Krishnan, R., & Chary, K. V. (2015). A rare case modafinil dependence. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4319252/
- Nuvigil vs. Provigil: How Are They Similar and Different? (2016, August 19). Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/narcolepsy/nuvigil-vs-provigil
- gc.ca. 2020. ALERTEC (Modafinil) And The Risk Of Congenital Anomalies – Recalls And Safety Alerts. [online] Available at: <https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2019/70201a-eng.php#:~:text=ALERTEC%20(modafinil%20100%20mg%20tablets,a%20circadian%20rhythm%20sleep%20disorder).> [Accessed 3 October 2020].
- Medicines Amendment Regulations 2018. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2018/0179/latest/LMS69438.html?search=sw_096be8ed817d206d_modafinil_25_se&p=1&sr=0
- Personal Importation of Medicines. (2018, October 8). Retrieved from https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Consumers/MIET/ImportMedicines.asp
- Modafinil safety review – a wake up call. (2011, December). Retrieved from https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/PUArticles/ModafinilDecember2011.htm