Mind Lab Pro vs. Modafinil.
A smart drug showdown of heavyweight proportions. Two of the world’s premier nootropics put head-to-head in direct comparison.
These two nootropics are our absolute favorite smart drugs on the market today. We use both regularly, but for very different reasons…
Mind Lab Pro is our nootropic of choice when we need to be creative. We take this powerful smart drug when we want to muster something new or approach a challenge from a different angle. It helps us get into our “flow state” quickly and dramatically increases how much work we can produce each day.
Modafinil, on the other hand, is our workhorse smart drug. We take this potent, powerful nootropic when we have a ton of work to get done. Usually on Mondays when we want to work for over 12+ hours and just crush it.
Both of these nootropics are wonderful in their own right and have many similarities. Yet they have some stark differences as well. That’s why we’re writing this in-depth guide on: Mind Lab Pro vs. Modafinil.
Get 10% off all Buy Moda products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: BUYMODA#1
What is Mind Lab Pro?
Before we dive too deep into this comparison, let’s take a brief look at what Mind Lab Pro is and why so many people swear by it.
Mind Lab Pro is one of the most popular and effective over-the-counter smart drugs in the world. Created by Opti-Nutra, this cognition-boosting dietary supplement combines 11 nootropic ingredients in one potent product. It is certified drug-free and contains only natural ingredients, meaning that it is prescription-free. This nootropic delivers impressive, yet safe, cognitive enhancement.
Nootropics are generally taken to “become smarter” for the day, and Mind Lab Pro offers this and so much more. Yet, we believe Opti-Nutra took things to the next level with this smart drug.
The company created a comprehensive, universal nootropic that optimizes brain pathways and cognitive function — to the max.
Mind Lab Pro delivers cognitive benefits to six specific aspects of brain function:
- Brain Chemistry: It improves memory and processing speed while boosting mood and motivation.
- Brain Energy: It eliminates pesky brain fog and fatigue while supporting quick thinking and focus.
- Brain Regeneration: It helps repair brain cells for plasticity and positive growth.
- Brain Circulation: It helps oxygenate your brain while clearing toxins.
- Brain Protection: It combats structural changes that degrade the brain as we age.
- Brain Waves: It promotes creativity and learning.
To ensure Mind Lab Pro offers all these benefits and more, this nootropic contains only premium ingredients. This ensures maximum potency bio-availability, resulting in a bigger cognitive boost.
After testing out Mind Lab Pro and becoming consistent users of this product, we’re inclined to say Opti-Nutra created one of the absolute best smart drugs available.
Below you’ll find a list of ingredients found in this product and how they work.
Mind Lab Pro Ingredients
Diving a little bit deeper, we wanted to take an in-depth look at Mind Lab Pro ingredients before we start talking about what is Modafinil and why people love that smart drug.
Mind Lab Pro incorporates 11 unique ingredients, each known to improve some aspect of brain function or cognition. There’s no “proprietary blend” nonsense here, just proven, research-backed natural nootropics.
Here’s a list of the exact Mind Lab Pro ingredients and their dosages:
- Bacopa Monnieri: 150mg 
- Citicoline: 250mg 
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom: 500mg 
- L-Theanine: 100mg 
- Maritime Pine Bark: 75mg
- N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine: 175mg 
- Phosphatidylserine: 100mg 
- Rhodiola Rosea: 50mg 
- Vitamin B6: 2.5mg 
- Vitamin B9: 100mcg 
- Vitamin B12: 7.5mcg 
The exact benefits of each ingredient and why Opti-Nutra included them into the formula is beyond the scope of this article, but we covered that in our full review of the product.
By the way, you can read our full Mind Lab Pro review here.
What is most important is how Mind Lab Pro combines precise amounts of these 11 ingredients into a comprehensive nootropic product that actually works. You’ll definitely feel the nootropic “high” when taking this potent smart drug.
Mind Lab Pro really works!
Mind Lab Pro!
What is Modafinil?
On the other hand…
Unlike Mind Lab Pro, Modafinil was never created to be a smart drug or a nootropic. It was discovered in the 1970s in France and found to act as a “eugeroic”, which means it promotes wakefulness and helps prevent sleepiness.
During the 1980s, Modafinil was developed into a pharmaceutical drug for the treatment of narcolepsy. It was first released to the public in 1994 under the brand name ‘Modiodal’ . Doctors soon started prescribing it to treat a range of sleeping disorders including Shift work disorder, sleep apnea, and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) .
Far from being a straight-up ‘cognitive enhancer’, Modafinil’s primary effect is that it helps individuals who suffer from chronic forms of fatigue stay awake and alert during the day. However, that’s probably not why you’re curious about this nootropic…
Here’s the deal with Modafinil:
If you don’t suffer from one of the conditions listed above, then Modafinil offers a myriad of cognitive benefits. When you self-administer Modafinil, it acts as a powerful brain-boosting stimulant. This is how Modafinil became one of the most popular smart drugs in the world.
Hustlers, CEOs, Silicon Valley-types, and grad students around the world routinely use Modafinil to increase their focus and work for 12+ hours straight. By taking Modafinil, these people get a step ahead of their competition.
This is probably why you’re curious about Modafinil these days; for its immense nootropic benefits. We’re talking things like :
- 12+ hours of intense focus
- Overall improved cognition
- Better memory retention
- Increased productivity
- Improved moods
Those benefits are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Modafinil…
This stuff really works for everyone who takes it and offers undeniable cognitive benefits.
Discussing Modafinil ingredients is a bit different from talking about over-the-counter nootropic ingredients, like those found in Mind Lab Pro.
This is because Modafinil is a pharmaceutical drug, while Mind Lab Pro is a drug-free dietary supplement. That means there’s technically only one “active” ingredient in Modafinil:
Yep, the only ingredient in Modafinil that offers cognitive benefits is Modafinil.
See, Modafinil is technically a racemic compound. The compound’s chemical name is 2-[(diphenylmethyl)sulfinyl]acetamide. The molecular formula for Modafinil is C15H15NO2S and the molecular weight is 273.35 .
Mind Lab Pro vs. Modafinil | The Similarities
Now that we’ve got the pleasantries out of the way, let’s take a look at what we all came here to see…
Mind Lab Pro vs. Modafinil
Both of these nootropic products offer similar benefits and can be used for similar purposes; to enhance memory, focus, concentration, and cognition. It’s also easy to order both of these products online these days.
So without further ado, here are the similarities between Mind Lab Pro and Modafinil:
While we can nitpick about which nootropic is better or what smart drug is best, the reality is that both these products work. Really, really well.
Modafinil and Mind Lab Pro are two of the BEST smart drugs available right now. They both offer impressive cognitive enhancement for anyone and everyone.
If you’re looking for a potent and powerful smart drug, you can’t go wrong here. We love Modafinil, and we love Mind Lab Pro.
We’ve talked a little bit about the nootropic benefits you’ll find with these products already, but we wanted to expand on things a little further.
You’ll find impressive cognitive benefits when taking both Mind Lab Pro and Modafinil. including:
- Overall Cognitive Enhancement
- Heightened Attention Span and Focus
- Increased Energy Levels
- Improved Mood
- Extra Drive and Motivation
- Improved Memory Retention
When taking Mind Lab Pro or Modafinil, you’ll find your mind just works better…for the day. Thoughts flow, work gets done, you’re focused longer and so much more.
The benefits of these specific nootropics are vast in our experience, and these products will help you achieve your goals!
After successfully testing Modafinil for years and Mind Lab Pro for months, we’re confident in saying both these smart drugs are 100% safe.
There have been ZERO reported cases of overdose and death from either of these products. Furthermore, you’ll find minimal side effects with Modafinil and almost NO side effects with Mind Lab Pro.
If you’re looking for safe smart drugs…
We believe both these nootropics to be 100% safe and sound for long-term use — 1-2 times per week with Modafinil and 1-5 times per week with Mind Lab Pro.
Easy to Buy Online
It used to be difficult to buy smart drugs online back in the day. Many companies only shipped to certain countries and the products were regularly confiscated by customs.
These days you needn’t worry about any of that.
You can buy Modafinil online and Mind Lab Pro from almost anywhere on earth. This makes getting your hands on the best nootropics in the world easier than ever before.
Mind Lab Pro vs. Modafinil | The Differences
While these two world-class nootropics are somewhat similar, we’ve found some clear differences between the two. Differences that may influence which product you decide to use.
Like the creative benefits of these products and which product is cheaper.
So we wanted to expand on these differences a little more here…
Natural vs. Prescription Nootropics
Mind Lab Pro is a dietary supplement, meaning it is 100% natural and doesn’t require a prescription. Dare we say…it’s even healthy for you. It contains no prescription-only drugs or ingredients. No proprietary blends. You can learn about everything inside the smart drug by reading the label.
Modafinil, on the other hand, is a prescription drug and far from natural. This means that it has side effects, like headaches, nausea, and sleeplessness, which we’ll get into later .
This is a MAJOR difference between the two products.
Some people prefer not to use prescription drugs for their ‘off prescription’ uses, like cognitive enhancement. Other people just want to get the job done regardless of whether they take a dietary supplement or prescription medication.
You’ll have to decide if this is a factor for you or not.
While the cognitive benefits of Modafinil are vast, we found zero creative benefits when taking the smart drug. Modafinil simply doesn’t enhance creativity in the slightest.
Mind Lab Pro, on the other hand, is our #1 smart drug when we want to tap into our creative side. We love taking this nootropic when we want to come up with new ideas. Or even dig into a creative work project, like writing a book.
If you’re looking for creative cognitive benefits, Mind Lab Pro is the way to go.
Mind Lab Pro tends to last for around six solid hours. That is a good chunk of time to keep the mind enhanced and highly focused. On a normal workday, this is more than enough to get a vast amount of work done.
Modafinil tends to last well over 12+ hours. The half-life of Modafinil is simply longer than Mind Lab Pro (or any over-the-counter nootropic for that matter).
If you need to pull an all-nighter or want to work from 8am until midnight, then Modafinil is the smart drug you’ll need to succeed.
The duration of how long these nootropics last is one of the major differences between these two potent nootropics.
We experienced zero side effects when taking Mind Lab Pro. No headaches. No stomach issues. No inability to sleep. Zip. Zilch. Nada.
That’s because, unlike Modafinil, it is drug-free and contains only safe, natural ingredients that have been proven to improve cognition.
This is a huge benefit for us, as most nootropics that we test tend to cause some minor side effects. The main culprit is caffeine, which can make us feel wired, anxious, or even dizzy, especially in the high doses that natural nootropics tend to come loaded with .
But with Mind Lab Pro? Nothing. Just smooth, long-lasting energy and creativity. It’s awesome.
By comparison, Modafinil tends to cause us some stomach issues the following day and it’s often impossible to get to sleep at a normal hour after taking the stuff.
We don’t believe that Modafinil side effects are bad, but you’ll definitely experience minor issues when you take it.
When buying smart drugs online, you’ll find a wide variety of prices. There are some dirt cheap nootropics on Amazon that don’t really work. Then there are some people paying $3 bucks per pill for Modafinil. The price range is huge.
Here’s the deal regarding price between Mind Lab Pro and Modafinil…
When ordering a 30-serving supply, the products are about the same price. You’ll pay around $2 per serving with both Mind Lab Pro and Modafinil.
- Mind Lab Pro costs $65 USD for a 30-serving bottle of 60 pills. We tend to take 2-3 pills per day when using this nootropic.
- Modafinil costs $69 USD for 30 pills. We tend to take one pill per day when using this nootropic.
About the same price.
However, when you start buying in larger quantities, Modafinil tends to become a lot cheaper. In large quantities, you can get Modafinil for as low as $0.73 per pill. That’s because our recommended vendors offer massive 20% discounts if you pay with Bitcoin, whereas that deal isn’t available when you buy Mind Lab Pro.
Overall, we find that price isn’t that important of a factor, for one main reason:
You should only take Modafinil once or twice per week or only when you need to, on days where you have a massive amount of work to do. This prevents your body from developing a tolerance to the drug. And on days when you aren’t taking Modafinil, you can take Mind Lab Pro.
That was a comprehensive look at our favorite nootropics:
Mind Lab Pro vs. Modafinil
We recommend using both products, but for different reasons.
Think of Mind Lab Pro as your “daily” smart drug and go-to when we need to tap into the creative side of your brain…
And consider Modafinil as your “workhorse” smart drug for days when you need to work overtime.
Overall, you can’t go wrong with either one. These are our favorite smart drugs on the market for a reason…
They get the job done and offer massive cognitive benefits!
- Morgan, A., & Stevens, J. (2010, July). Does Bacopa monnieri improve memory performance in older persons? Results of a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20590480
- Silveri, M. M., Dikan, J., Ross, A. J., Jensen, J. E., Kamiya, T., Kawada, Y., … Yurgelun-Todd, D. A. (2008, November). Citicoline enhances frontal lobe bioenergetics as measured by phosphorus magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18816480
- Mori, K., Inatomi, S., Ouchi, K., Azumi, Y., & Tuchida, T. (2009, March). Improving effects of the mushroom Yamabushitake (Hericium erinaceus) on mild cognitive impairment: a double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18844328
- Bryan, J. (2008, February). Psychological effects of dietary components of tea: caffeine and L-theanine. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18254874
- Colzato, L. S., Jongkees, B. J., Sellaro, R., & Hommel, B. (2013, December 16). Working memory reloaded: tyrosine repletes updating in the N-back task. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3863934/
- (n.d.). Retrieved from http://ns.umich.edu/Releases/2001/Aug01/r081301a.html
- Shevtsov, V. A., Zholus, B. I., Shervarly, V. I., Vol’skij, V. B., Korovin, Y. P., Khristich, M. P., … Wikman, G. (2003, March). A randomized trial of two different doses of a SHR-5 Rhodiola rosea extract versus placebo and control of capacity for mental work. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12725561
- Malouf R, Grimley Evans J. The effect of vitamin B6 on cognition. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003;(4):CD004393. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD004393. PMID: 14584010.
- Guilland JC, Aimone-Gastin I. Vitamine B9 [Vitamin B9]. Rev Prat. 2013 Oct;63(8):1079, 1081-4. French. PMID: 24298825.
- Health Quality Ontario. Vitamin B12 and cognitive function: an evidence-based analysis. Ont Health Technol Assess Ser. 2013 Nov 1;13(23):1-45. PMID: 24379897; PMCID: PMC3874776.
- “Provigil (Modafinil) Uses, Dosage, Side Effects.” Drugs.com, drugs.com/provigil.html.
- Biederman J, Swanson JM, Wigal SB, Boellner SW, Earl CQ, Lopez FA; Modafinil ADHD Study Group. A comparison of once-daily and divided doses of modafinil in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006 May;67(5):727-35. doi: 10.4088/jcp.v67n0506. PMID: 16841622.
- Müller, U, et al. “Effects of Modafinil on Non-Verbal Cognition, Task Enjoyment and Creative Thinking in Healthy Volunteers.” Neuropharmacology, Pergamon Press, Jan. 2013, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3485563/.
- “Provigil (Modafinil): Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Interactions, Warning.” RxList, RxList, 8 May 2018, rxlist.com/provigil-drug.htm.
- Lopes E, Pereira D, da Silva Behrens NS, de Almeida Fonseca H, Calvancanti PO, de Araújo Lima TF, Pradella-Hallinan M, Castro J, Tufik S, Coelho FM. Cataplexy as a side effect of modafinil in a patient without narcolepsy. Sleep Sci. 2014 Mar;7(1):47-9. doi:
- Wikoff D, Welsh BT, Henderson R, et al. Systematic review of the potential adverse effects of caffeine consumption in healthy adults, pregnant women, adolescents, and children. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;109(Pt 1):585-648. doi:10.1016/j.fct.2017.04.002