If you’re curious about buying Modafinil over-the-counter, you’ve come to just the right place.
In this detailed guide, we’ll explain everything you need to know about buying Modafinil over-the-counter (OTC) and discuss whether buying it from a pharmacy is even worth it these days.
Many individuals who want to try Modafinil for the first time look for OTC options and find them lacking. You cannot buy Modafinil from any pharmacy in a Western country without a prescription from a doctor. To get a prescription from a doctor, you’ll likely need to be diagnosed with a sleep-related disorder, like narcolepsy .
Do you have narcolepsy, severe sleep apnea, ADHD, or shift work sleep disorder? If not, buying Modafinil from a pharmacy is unlikely to be an option.
Fortunately, there are other ways to buy Modafinil these days. While some people do buy Modafinil OTC in countries where it is permitted, most people look to buy Modafinil online instead.
Get 10% off all Buy Moda products as a Modafinil.com reader.
Just use this code at checkout: BUYMODA#1
What is Modafinil?
As you’ve been searching for an article about how to buy Modafinil over the counter, we’ll go ahead and assume that you know exactly what this smart drug is.
But for those who don’t, we’ll quickly run through the basics and get you up to speed…
What is Modafinil?
Modafinil was discovered in France in the 1970s and was found to act as a powerful ‘eugeroic’, which is basically a fancy term meaning a type of drug that makes you feel wide awake . Modafinil was released in France under the brand name ‘Modiodal’ in the early 90s. It soon became the premier wakefulness agent on the market and was widely prescribed to treat ailments like narcolepsy, Shift Work Sleep Disorder (SWSD), and sleep apnea. Provigil proved to be such an effective drug that it was soon released throughout the world under various brand names such as Provigil, Vigil, and Modasomil.
However, that’s probably not why you’re interested in this drug…
As you’ve likely heard, Modafinil is commonly taken ‘off prescription’ as a nootropic, or so-called ‘smart drug’. That’s because when it’s taken by people who don’t have a sleep disorder, Modafinil reportedly acts as a powerful wakefulness enhancer and lets them stay alert and focused for hours on end.
As you can imagine, Modafinil’s purported ‘off-label’ benefits make it extremely attractive to high-achievers like students, CEOs, startup creators, hustlers, and people who need to pull all-nighters regularly. People who need to outwork the competition on the daily. And people striving to be more productive in every way.
Some of the reasons why high-achievers love Modafinil include :
- Hours and hours of enhanced focus.
- Improved overall cognition.
- Better memory retention.
- More productivity.
- Inability to feel fatigued.
Right now, Modafinil is undoubtedly the world’s most popular nootropic . People from all over the world are curious about what it can do for them, whether it can help them to focus better  or improve their memory .
If you’re curious about how Modafinil works, allow us to break it down for you…
When you take Modafinil, your brain starts churning out massive amounts of histamine and dopamine . This keeps you awake, buzzing, and productive, and prevents you from feeling hungry or tired .
But that’s not all. Modafinil is the ultimate study drug because it makes your mind less receptive to stress. It does this by essentially dulling a part of the brain called the “amygdala” . The result? You can study or cram for an exam even if you are under terrific stress. Win-win.
But don’t just listen to us…
There are numerous scientific studies published in peer-reviewed medical journals that support Modafinil’s effectiveness as a smart drug .
Modafinil’s popularity is due to one thing, and one thing only…
This nootropic just works!
Modafinil Side Effects and Safety
Modafinil is exceptionally popular because it works so well for so many. Cognitive enhancement in a pill. Yet, is Modafinil safe? Are there any side effects that you should be worried about?
In our experience, most smart drug users do not experience any side effects when taking Modafinil at a dose of 100-200mg.
But don’t just listen to us. Various research studies have concluded that Modafinil is a safe, non-addictive drug . It has been found to improve ‘hot’ cognition, such as emotion recognition and task-related motivation  without causing dependence issues; there are no medically-recognized withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking Modafinil.
That being said…
Modafinil may produce a few minor side effects that you should be aware of. The most common Modafinil side effects are headaches, a dry mouth, nausea, and trouble sleeping . Some of the more unusual side effects are lumbago, diarrhea, dyspepsia, rhinitis, and vertigo, but these are rare .
Most Modafinil side effects tend to be mild and subside as soon as Modafinil intake is stopped. So overall, side effects shouldn’t be a major concern for the vast majority of users.
However, there are a few exceptionally rare Modafinil side effects you should also pay attention to:
- Chest pain
These side effects warrant immediate medical attention. It’s important to contact a doctor if you experience any of these side effects after taking Modafinil.
Is it Legal to Buy Modafinil Over-the-Counter?
Now for the question that you came here for…
Is it legal to buy Modafinil OTC? Can you buy Modafinil over-the-counter?
This should be a “Yes” or “No” type of question, but it’s not so simple. As far as Modafinil is concerned, there are a few legal considerations to keep in mind, especially for readers in Western countries.
First, if you live in the United States, Canada, Australia, or the UK — buying Modafinil over-the-counter isn’t possible. Pharmacies do stock it, but you’ll only be able to get your hands on some if you have a prescription from your doctor.
As we discussed above, in the vast majority of cases, you’ll need a doctor to diagnose you with a sleep-related disorder such as narcolepsy, sleep apnea, or Shift Work Sleep Disorder due to pulling all-nighters for work. If you don’t have one of these conditions, you will most likely NOT be prescribed Modafinil.
If you go to your doctor saying you have one of these conditions, you’ll likely be asked to take an overnight sleep study to find the underlying cause of your disorder. You can’t fake it. If you do receive a diagnosis, then it may be possible to buy Modafinil from your local pharmacy with a prescription from your doctor.
Why? Because Modafinil is a Schedule IV drug in the United States , and its sale is therefore carefully controlled. It is similarly “scheduled” in most other developed countries. Due to how Modafinil is classified, you cannot buy it OTC without having a prescription from your doctor.
Considering a pharmacist will go to jail for years if they sell you a pharmaceutical drug without a prescription, not a single pharmacist will risk it.
As such, you cannot buy Modafinil OTC without a prescription in most nations.
Luckily, there are more convenient and far less costly ways to get Modafinil these days. We’ll be discussing these Modafinil buying options below.
How to Buy Modafinil OTC | 2021 Guide
For most individuals, buying Modafinil over-the-counter isn’t an option. So, this leaves most nootropics fans with one option.
Buy Modafinil online.
In fact, it’s far more convenient and economical to order Modafinil online than any other option.
That’s because the best online Modafinil pharmacies do an incredible job shipping Modafinil all around the world these days.
Here are some of the benefits of buying Modafinil online in 2020:
- Cheaper prices than the pharmacy — by far!
- 7-15 day delivery times.
- Guaranteed deliveries — you either get the smart drugs or get a refund. No risks!
- Proper packaging to ensure swift passage through customs.
- High-quality generic Modafinil.
For those who take Modafinil off-label as a nootropic, buying online is by far the most popular method.
If that’s you, then buying Modafinil online will be your go-to.
In our experience consulting with thousands of Modafinil users across the world, we don’t perceive any risk when buying Modafinil online, provided the order is for a reasonable quantity. Given Modafinil’s low addictive potential, governments will typically treat it as a non-priority on the enforcement side, especially when imported for personal use.
We haven’t heard a single report of anybody facing legal issues of any kind when ordering Modafinil online for personal use. Hypothetically, the worst-case scenario is that customs may confiscate your package.
But this is rare.
If it happens, you can request a full refund or a free reshipment from the Modafinil vendor you ordered from. No questions asked.
Countries Where Modafinil is Available OTC?
There are certain countries where buying Modafinil OTC is not only possible — it’s easy.
You probably don’t live in one of these countries. If you live in an Anglo country, i.e., the United States, Europe, the U.K., or Australia, you can’t buy Modafinil over-the-counter unless you have a prescription.
However, this is not true in all countries around the world. For example, you can buy Modafinil OTC if you live in a place like:
That list goes on and on! In many countries in South America and Asia, you will find that buying pharmaceutical drugs without a prescription is no problem whatsoever.
The bigger issue?
Getting legit pharmaceutical drugs from these pharmacies. You run the risk of buying inferior or counterfeit Modafinil or getting ripped off completely.
For example, a member of our team bought some Modafinil from a pharmacy in Colombia. The box was sealed shut. Everything looked legit. But when he opened it up, this is what he found…
The packaging was already opened and the Modafinil had been removed from the packets. The pharmacy had re-sealed the box. Pretty sketchy if you ask us!
For the most part, buying Modafinil OTC in countries where it is legal to do so without a prescription isn’t a bad idea. If you just need a serving or two, it’s actually pretty ideal.
However, it should be noted that buying Modafinil in a pharmacy will almost always be more expensive than buying it online.
Our team recently purchased a generic form of Modafinil in Mexico without a prescription. This is legal in Mexico . We went to the pharmacy in CDMX and asked for Modiodal, aka Mexican Modafinil.
The pharmacy had Modiodal in stock, but our team member paid significantly more than he would have had he just purchased online. The Modiodal 200mg cost roughly $3 (USD) per tablet.
Online? We’d expect to pay anywhere from $0.80-1.50 (USD) per 200mg Modafinil tablet.
Buying Modafinil Over-the-Counter? | Verdict
Is it possible to buy Modafinil OTC these days?
That depends on where you live.
It is “possible” in limited situations. You can buy Modafinil over-the-counter — but only if you live in one of a few certain countries where the drug is not prescription-only. For those looking to buy Modafinil OTC in a Western country, like the United States, buying Modafinil online is the only option.
The online pharmacies available these days are legit, and you’ll be able to obtain high-quality generic Modafinil in no time. We do it ourselves!
- Modafinil Oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-16962/modafinil-oral/details
- Ikeda, Y., Funayama, T., Tateno, A., Fukayama, H., Okubo, Y., & Suzuki, H. (2017, July). Modafinil enhances alerting-related brain activity in attention networks. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28374089
- Gerrard, P., & Malcolm, R. (2007, June). Mechanisms of modafinil: A review of current research. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2654794/
- Giurgea C. Vers une pharmacologie de l’activité intégrative du cerveau. Tentative du concept nootrope en psychopharmacologie [Pharmacology of integrative activity of the brain. Attempt at nootropic concept in psychopharmacology]. Actual Pharmacol (Paris). 1972;25:115-56. French. PMID: 4541214.
- Iglseder B. Doping für das Gehirn [Doping for the brain]. Z Gerontol Geriatr. 2018 Feb;51(2):143-148. German. doi: 10.1007/s00391-017-1351-y. Epub 2017 Dec 5. PMID: 29209802.
- Battleday RM, Brem AK. Modafinil for cognitive neuroenhancement in healthy non-sleep-deprived subjects: A systematic review. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2015;25(11):1865-1881. doi:10.1016/j.euroneuro.2015.07.028
- Ishizuka T, Sakamoto Y, Sakurai T, Yamatodani A. Modafinil increases histamine release in the anterior hypothalamus of rats. Neurosci Lett. 2003;339(2):143-146. doi:10.1016/s0304-3940(03)00006-5
- Brown RE, Stevens DR, Haas HL. The physiology of brain histamine. Prog Neurobiol. 2001;63(6):637-672. doi:10.1016/s0301-0082(00)00039-3
- Zolkowska D, Jain R, Rothman RB, Partilla JS, Roth BL, Setola V, Prisinzano TE, Baumann MH. Evidence for the involvement of dopamine transporters in behavioral stimulant effects of modafinil. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2009 May;329(2):738-46. doi: 10.1124/jpet.108.146142. Epub 2009 Feb 5. PMID: 19197004; PMCID: PMC2672878.
- Minzenberg MJ, Carter CS. Modafinil: a review of neurochemical actions and effects on cognition. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008 Jun;33(7):1477-502. doi: 10.1038/sj.npp.1301534. Epub 2007 Aug 22. PMID: 17712350.
- Rasetti, Roberta et al. “Modulatory effects of modafinil on neural circuits regulating emotion and cognition.” Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology vol. 35,10 (2010): 2101-9. doi:10.1038/npp.2010.83
- Baranski JV, Pigeau R, Dinich P, Jacobs I. Effects of modafinil on cognitive and meta-cognitive performance. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2004 Jul;19(5):323-32. doi: 10.1002/hup.596. PMID: 15252824.
- Modafinil Tolerance: How to Help Yourself. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.oxfordtreatment.com/addiction-treatment/detox/modafinil/tolerance/
- Brühl AB, d’Angelo C, Sahakian BJ. Neuroethical issues in cognitive enhancement: Modafinil as the example of a workplace drug?. Brain Neurosci Adv. 2019;3:2398212818816018. Published 2019 Feb 15. doi:10.1177/2398212818816018
- Side Effects of Provigil (Modafinil), Warnings, Uses. (2018, May 8). Retrieved from https://www.rxlist.com/provigil-side-effects-drug-center.htm
- Lopes E, Pereira D, da Silva Behrens NS, de Almeida Fonseca H, Calvancanti PO, de Araújo Lima TF, Pradella-Hallinan M, Castro J, Tufik S, Coelho FM. Cataplexy as a side effect of modafinil in a patient without narcolepsy. Sleep Sci. 2014 Mar;7(1):47-9. doi: 10.1016/j.slsci.2014.07.015. Epub 2014 Aug 19. PMID: 26483900; PMCID: PMC4521649.
- Drug Scheduling. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.dea.gov/druginfo/ds.shtml
- Sitio de Comisión Federal para la Protección contra Riesgos Sanitarios. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.gob.mx/cofepris/